Raleigh bicycle front brake not working - repair help please?

Options
Hi,
I have a Raleigh bike and when (stupidly and unsuccessfully) trying to squeeze it into a tiny car, seem to have managed to loosen the front brake cable. There is a connection all the way down, but at the handlebar I can now pull the brake lever all the way to the handlebar with no braking at all. The cable is totally loose and does nothing. When I pull the brake lever, because I can pull it all the way to touch the handlebar, I can see the end of the cable in the lever. I tried holding it in and tightening the bolt but that did nothing.

I know very little about bikes, but don't live near a repair shop and can't fit the bike in the car! Is there a way for me to be able to fix this myself with step by step instructions please? If not, can anyone advise if it is a shop repair or replacement, and what I could expect to pay.

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends on the type of brake it's running but if it's V Brakes then it sounds like the noodle has popped out.

Hopefully this will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjX5yGR0TnI
    All your base are belong to us.
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    look on youtube, there will be quite a choice of broadcasters..

Covering all aspects of bike repair and maintenance.. Ive gone through watching a few with each job that Ive needed to do on mine. Some of them are ok to watch - and explain in an easy to follow & grasp format - and some are just annoying \ too OTT with the technical aspects to follow..

So find one that you like, subscribe to there feed and use it as a reference point for any jobs you need to do..

Other tip - never dabble with front and rear brakes at the same 'time' since you may be left with no brakes at all :-) as there can be a difference in testing the brakes on a little turn around on the street vs out on a downhill section ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure