How to help an elderly relative.

Options
andy1672
andy1672 Posts: 2 Newbie
Hi, I am taking a look at my father-in-law's PPI claims for him as he is not very well, and getting on in life. He really can't do it himself and I don't want him to get ripped off.

After receiving a letter from a company saying they could get money back for him, he called them and they sent someone round straight away. After he listen to their "Salesman" he agreed, but they want to change him around £350 upfront, plus 30%+VAT on anything that is claimed. I really don't think this is a good deal for him, but I don't have the time to look into it all for him myself (not even looked at my own) . Can anyone recommend a company that has no upfront fees and charge around 20-25%

He has single PPI payment on he's mortgage from Jan2006 of around £3000, plus a couple of credit cards.
Also a BlackHorse car finance that had PPI, and probably more but it's hard to get any further details from him.
If I go with a company can they look at things I don't know about that he may have forgotten?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really don't think this is a good deal for him

its not. Plus, there are massive concerns over CMCs that charge up front as many have turned out to be scams or have a business model that is a pyramid scheme that collapses in on itself at some point.
    Can anyone recommend a company that has no upfront fees and charge around 20-25%

You wont find any person making a recommendation as the complaints process if free of charge. The same info you give a CMC is all the bank needs. So, there is no point giving info to a CMC as all they are doing is putting a stamp on an envelope. A very expensive envelope.
    If I go with a company can they look at things I don't know about that he may have forgotten?

They will put the complaint in on anything he tells them about. Just the same as if he told the provider directly.

In the case of mortgages, no lender did single premium MPPI. So, that one must have been a broker. In which case, the complaint goes to the broker. A very high success rate on those as it should always be monthly premium.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • andy1672
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    In the case of mortgages, no lender did single premium MPPI. So, that one must have been a broker. In which case, the complaint goes to the broker. A very high success rate on those as it should always be monthly premium.

Yes it was a broker, and it turns out that he's £50k mortgage is now £64k after all fees and PPI went on top. he was told the mortgage will be a fixed rate for the duration of the mortgage (13 years) but that was not correct either. He got stung here but did not want to admit it.

I've got the details of broker at home, so will post it later.
    Lender was South Pacific now known as Acenden, & PPI was with 2ND Mortgage Ltd.
    think it was £2400 he paid them and it was added to the mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure