builders " under the table"

Options
A quote for a total revamp of my flat ( 1st floor, one bedroom).

I asked to remove bathroom suite and replace like for like, install mixer shower and tile my (tiny 2m x 1.6 m bathroom), remove woodchip from walls ( about half of them, but v high ceilings), reskim plaster on all walls, remove carpet and fit laminate thorughout ( except bathroom), knock down partition), fit an ikea kitchen ( 4.1m X 2m, to include fridge freezer in a tower, washingmachine with tumble driwer above in a tower, integrated undercounter drier/hob, dishwasher, corner units, plate rack and tall units), box in my book shelves (on either side of mantel) to make them into a wall unit with cupboards underneath, remove some radiators, box in some pipes,redecorate flat.

He said through his firm it would be about £10K, but he would do it privately for £5K, would take him about 3 weeks if I could vacate flat, store all my stuff.

The quote was much cheaper than I expected - slightly concerned about doing it "no-legit", am wondering if I might be better off doing it properly, but even at £10K, I think it might be worth doing. This is on the basis that I supply everything myself - he said that it would be cheaper to go to ikea, bathroom merchants, internet for applicances etc.
Am thinking I may go for it - on the basis that my overall, top line budget for my flat renovations is £20K, if it all goes horribly wrong, I can spend the money getting it soted out ( I was incidentally quotted by someone else local £1800 labour only for the bathroom and £5,000 supply and fit kitchen including knocking down the wall, but not including the flooring/ plastering;/ redecorating).

If it is 3 weeeks work ( 15 days) his day rate would be £330 ( on basis of £5K)

getting a few other quotes over the weekend, but to sum up - shall I take a chance with this guy - or go through his firm? He would be doing the work anyway, probably by himself..

Comments

• Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Good afternoon: Caveat emptor:eek: You have to ask yourself why the job would be half price 'under the table'...if he was paying tax on profits, NI, held liability insurance, held relevant trade qualifications, maintained associated registration in professional organizations, and notified works to Building Control if required, this would not represent another £5000.00....something has to give. Wait for more quotes...has this individual been recommended to you by a reliable sources/have you seen his work? Is he doing the work or will he sub it out to the bodge brigade? Moneysaving is about being moneysmart... make sure you get a full, written specification for each quote and compare like for like.

Let us know how you get on;)

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    it sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Truth to be told -if you are posting up queries on an open forum you must think the same.

if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.
    baldly going on...
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    boufje wrote: »
    If it is 3 weeeks work ( 15 days) his day rate would be £330 ( on basis of £5K)
    Company day rate £660 - didn't know IBM did building work...

Get more quotes (and decide how much any sort of guarantee may be worth to you).
  • boufje
    boufje Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    All for your advice - have concluded it does sound rather dodgy and best to leave it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure