🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Pause on my housing benefit

Options
Last week I was meant to receive my housing benefit and after it not going in I rang them up to see what was going on. After no help really and a very vague explanation that apparently the computer couldn't release the payment because of something with DWP (I had forgotten to inform council I was changing from JSA to income support as am pregnant). Anyway as I didn't receive much information I rang them back up today to see if I could get a more helpful person who basically informed me that I should have told them about the change, but how are you meant to know their is a change if no letters have been sent out at all and nothing to even tell you that something has been suspended/paused. She took some information about my income support claim and some other bits

Anyway the woman said that the computer has most of my information now and that the payment should hopefully be released by end of the week maybe or by next week. Although she was lovely she still didnt seem to know exactly.

My point is has anyone else experienced this or know the turnaround between them pausing the claim and you getting your payment? My payment was paused 30th June. I just don't understand why they wouldn't send out letters to inform people and you're just left to find out once you haven't been paid? Such a stressful time being 8 months pregnant and all this going on

Comments

• fed_up_and_stressed
    Options
    LeasaP wrote: »
    Last week I was meant to receive my housing benefit and after it not going in I rang them up to see what was going on. After no help really and a very vague explanation that apparently the computer couldn't release the payment because of something with DWP (I had forgotten to inform council I was changing from JSA to income support as am pregnant). Anyway as I didn't receive much information I rang them back up today to see if I could get a more helpful person who basically informed me that I should have told them about the change, but how are you meant to know their is a change if no letters have been sent out at all and nothing to even tell you that something has been suspended/paused. She took some information about my income support claim and some other bits

Anyway the woman said that the computer has most of my information now and that the payment should hopefully be released by end of the week maybe or by next week. Although she was lovely she still didnt seem to know exactly.

My point is has anyone else experienced this or know the turnaround between them pausing the claim and you getting your payment? My payment was paused 30th June. I just don't understand why they wouldn't send out letters to inform people and you're just left to find out once you haven't been paid? Such a stressful time being 8 months pregnant and all this going on

But you weren't just left to find out....you knew you had changed from JSA to IS and you knew you had forgotten to inform the council even though it is the claimants responsibility to inform them of material changes as per your application form.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • LeasaP
    LeasaP Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I didn't know I was meant to tell them until I was told on Friday after they'd syspended it. If sone one had told them then this situation wouldn't be happening would it? I thought you told them of a change if their was an increase or a decrease. I still receive the same amount of money it's just changed to income support as I am in the later stage of pregnancy. I never knew something so little as a change of benefit name would effect it. I Don't know the ins and outs of the benefit system so didn't know
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Its not just a change of benefit name though. When your claim was made to Income Support your JSA claim would have been closed, the council would be automatically informed of this closure and if they don't hear from you will assume you have started work and no longer need assistance.

Consider it a lesson learnt that even if you don't think its material then just inform them regardless that way your money won't be stopped.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • LeasaP
    LeasaP Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    yes I've made the mistake, you're a right its a lesson learnt. what i was actually looking for was why they don't send out letters when it's flagged on their computer (which happened on the 30th) if I wanted a dressing down I would have gone else where
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    sammyjammy wrote: »
    When your claim was made to Income Support your JSA claim would have been closed, the council would be automatically informed of this closure and if they don't hear from you will assume you have started work and no longer need assistance.
    My understanding is that the council is also informed that the IS is starting - though in a somewhat different form.

They already knew.
  • fluffymovie
    fluffymovie Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its likely that the suspension was done automatically by the system after the council received an ATLAS record telling them JSA had ended. Due to the number of these records received daily, over 100 a day at my council, we set the system to deal with certain types automatically and these are suspended. There is no way for the system to personalise each letter to the extent that you might want but it should at least have told you why your claim was suspended, even if it only says 'a change in circumstances'

The declaration you signed up to when you made your claim, said I expect, that you would tell them of any changes. It doesn't specifiy a reduction or increase. As you say, it is something you know now but it seems a bit unfortunate that your suspension and payment dates seem to have co-incided.
    I currently manage a Housing Benefit service and have been working in Housing / council tax benefit (as was) since 2001.

All views expressed in my posts are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 1 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport