Advice please – collecting overdue payment (Sole trader)

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 17 July 2015 at 10:07AM
    Options
    YEOVILGOM wrote: »
    I'm sorry but is that a genuine debt collection technigque? Bore them into submission!!

I doubt it.

I don't think anyone will be boring anyone much over a possible income of £2.00 :cool:

Even the poster has recently questioned whether the approach would really work to collect debts
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5284021

If you really want the money someone else owes you, there is a simple system to do so, and you get to keep 100% of the money (assuming the debtor can pay)
    Yes it may cost a little money upfront, but that is usually added to the amount owed.

As to the poster who believes karma is the best solution, I see they in their recent experience they have made a number of errors and rather than accept their own failure, prefer to attempt to blame the system that actually works extremely well if you do it properly.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5228212
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You quoted something entirely different and unrelated, why?

The technique clearly works, why are there so many debt collection agencies?
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    assj wrote: »
    You quoted something entirely different and unrelated, why?

The technique clearly works, why are there so many debt collection agencies?

I have found that being persistent and repetitive works. It sounds boring and it is boring, but the situation is rarely complex. Someone owes you money and you want them to pay you.
  • DandelionPatrol
    DandelionPatrol Posts: 1,313 Forumite
    Options
    tweddle wrote: »

and here is his response:

What debt recover costs.
    It's 100
    Unless I do the same and charge you 40 for sending this mail.

Send me a proper invoice now for 100 and I will get it paid. Failure to send and I won't and i suggest you drop the silly games and charges.
    Sent from my iPhone
    Have you sent him an invoice for £100 already?

At the moment you have no right whatsoever to charge £40 for debt recovery - unless it is an express term of your contract - and the £1.51 is at best dubious.

By making unsupportable claims, you are putting yourself in the position of having to back down, which is essentially what your debtor has realised.

If you have already sent an invoice for the £100, refer him to that and provide a copy.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options

At the moment you have no right whatsoever to charge £40 for debt recovery - unless it is an express term of your contract - and the £1.51 is at best dubious.

Actually it's probably spot-on

https://www.gov.uk/late-commercial-payments-interest-debt-recovery
  • YEOVILGOM
    YEOVILGOM Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options

By making unsupportable claims, you are putting yourself in the position of having to back down, which is essentially what your debtor has realised.

If you have already sent an invoice for the £100, refer him to that and provide a copy.

Not true - he has every right under late payment legislation

What seems to be being missed here is that the debt is owed by a company that has been dissolved and therefore legal action is going to have very little effect. If you can get the £100 back - do it and be happy!

Ref debt colleciton agencies - I am one and I would not want to work for a chance of getting £2 as income!
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He seems to be willing to pay £100 , so send him an invoice for that ( what happened to the original invoice ?)

Then find a good collection agency who will deal with any future problems you may have
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    I have found that being persistent and repetitive works. It sounds boring and it is boring, but the situation is rarely complex. Someone owes you money and you want them to pay you.

Having worked in credit control (and other areas of accounts) for thirty five years, that technique will work on some people (the ones who pay up anyway), but not for others.
    There are times when you have to apply leverage by threatening court action, and by adding interest to outstanding bills.
    There are not that many sole traders who can afford to ignore debts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure