I hate xbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in Gaming MoneySaving
12 replies 3.7K views
I wish I could just throw the thing out of the window!

If is was mine I would have given up on it ages ago!

However it belongs to my 7 year old, and he loves it.

When it works it is great, he likes to play and chat with his friends on live. But I can never get it to do anything. I set up his account which meant he was unable to get games over his age limit, it took an age talking to Microsoft support to resolve this. I am happy for him to play on some games over his age limit as all his friends do and most of them are ok. However when he goes to download a free trail today it has reverted back to not allowing a lego game (which is rated 10).

Any suggestions how I can resolve this? it is really getting on my nerves I don't really want to get back onto Microsoft chat as they are so slow, I am never on there less than 2 hours.

If anyone is reading this wanting to set up a child on xbox I suggest you do it as an adult account all the other school mums did that and they never have any problems. I asked Microsoft to change his to an adult one but they won't :(

Replies

• edited 12 July 2015 at 1:44PM
    SheepsterSheepster Forumite
    120 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 12 July 2015 at 1:44PM
    Well, as he's 7, why not just set up a brand new account and scrap his old one?
    At that age, surely he isn't going to care about gamerscore or achievements.

Lego games restricted - why for goodness sake, it's not as bad as Daffy Duck cartoons for violence, but hey. I also regard Xboxes as "adult" toys anyway and kids should be on Nintendo's.

No seriously though, why not just a new profile, and with an adult account you can obviously just keep an eye on what he's playing and who he may have in a friends list.
  • RetrogamerRetrogamer Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sheepster wrote: »
    Well, as he's 7, why not just set up a brand new account and scrap his old one?
    At that age, surely he isn't going to care about gamerscore or achievements.

Lego games restricted - why for goodness sake, it's not as bad as Daffy Duck cartoons for violence, but hey. I also regard Xboxes as "adult" toys anyway and kids should be on Nintendo's.

No seriously though, why not just a new profile, and with an adult account you can obviously just keep an eye on what he's playing and who he may have in a friends list.

The problem with that is any cloud saves will be backed to that account.

Any games bought from the online store rather than a physical copy or game content will be tied to it as well.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim Forumite
    844 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    No, any purchases on that account will have two points of access: the purchasing account, and the first console used. On the same console, any account should have access to those purchases (unless something has changed recently?).

There will be a loss of all save games. But for a 7-year-old, he can be told he is being "promoted" to an adult account (perhaps as a "treat" for some good homework or upcoming 8th Birthday, etc), and now that he has practised playing his games, he can begin again and take them seriously. He will need to add his friends again under his new account name.

Don't store any payment info on his new account. It's too easy for accidents/"accidents" to happen!
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to [email protected].
  • edited 12 July 2015 at 8:36PM
    iammumtooneiammumtoone Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 July 2015 at 8:36PM
    unfortunately I can't set up a new adult account as I have purchased xbox live for him (he has only had it 1 month). Unless if anyone knows if xbox live is transferable to the adult account? he wont mind starting the games again apart from minecraft he has built loads of worlds but I suppose he could always go back to his child profile to play them?

I do agree with the poster that a lot of the xbox games are adult games but I didn't make the choice for xbox thats what everyone else in his class has so I brought it so he could talk about the same games they play.

I can buy discs for the games I want him to have the full version off but he is missing out on the fun his friends are having by downloading lots of the free trials.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim Forumite
    844 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    unfortunately I can't set up a new adult account as I have purchased xbox live for him (he has only had it 1 month). Unless if anyone knows if xbox live is transferable to the adult account?
    It depends on whether it is an Xbox 360 or an Xbox One.

If it is an Xbox One (the newest one with the most confusing name), then you can choose that console as your "home console" and everyone shares the Gold from any account.

If it is an Xbox 360, you probably can't share the Gold. Then you'll have to consider whether it's worth writing off the money spent on the old Gold membership. (Make sure you're not spending more than £27 on a 12-month subscription, as the 12-month Gold cards drop to that price extremely often.)
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to [email protected].
  • iammumtooneiammumtoone Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    thanks its an xbox 360 :(

I will have to think about the cost, the amount of time I have wasted trying to get Microsoft to resolve the issue via their live chat it probably would have been better just to get a new membership!

What I could try in the meantime is set up another adult account for him so he can download the free trials (as these wont work on live anyway), I assume he could get these on a free silver account? and continue to buy the games on discs until such time he wants to purchase a download only game. That might work.

Thanks for all your help
  • SheepsterSheepster Forumite
    120 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh yes, free trials are available on a silver account.

By the way, sound advice above from PenguinJim, but don't even pay £27 for gold.
    Cdkeys sell it for no more than £22 a year, less if you facebook like, and last week were selling it sub £20.
  • iammumtooneiammumtoone Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    Furgitude wrote: »
    You want to know how to sort this?

You must know the email and password that is setup on the gamertag then all you do is go on to xbox.com login and change the safety and privacy settings. I cant believe nobody at xbox never told you to do that. It is that easy.

yes they did tell me that the first time I raised this with them. I changed the settings I set them all to allow but it is still not allowing him to purchase. The second time I contacted them and explained it didn't work they told me it was due to his age, the system will not allow him to purchase games above his age, they quoted something to do with what the game developers allow and the law!

I refuse to speak to them again, it just takes too long to resolve anything. I will just have to wait until the year is out and purchase next years gold under a different account.
  • MothballsWalletMothballsWallet Forumite
    15.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    yes they did tell me that the first time I raised this with them. I changed the settings I set them all to allow but it is still not allowing him to purchase. The second time I contacted them and explained it didn't work they told me it was due to his age, the system will not allow him to purchase games above his age, they quoted something to do with what the game developers allow and the law!

I refuse to speak to them again, it just takes too long to resolve anything. I will just have to wait until the year is out and purchase next years gold under a different account.
    It's Microsoft, of course everything takes forever to sort out :)
  • bluenoseambluenoseam Forumite
    4.6K Posts

At the risk of sounding like a jerk I'll throw this out here. Your son is 7 years old, he's wanting to buy games rated 10 - if that happened in a retail setting, the assistant in any reputable retail establishment should refuse the sale. (That's foregoing the lack of a rating between 7 & 12 along with the fact that legally the pegi 12 rating is an advisory not legally enforcable) At the very least they should have called you over to verify that it was suitable for him & complete the sale. What Microsoft have said in this situation is true, they're being responsible, something which while frustrating they should really be commended for.

The question is does it allow him to play the games he's wanting to play? My guess is that it probably will, parental controls will decide which games he can play but purchases may be different. (You'll have to forgive me, I've never directly faced that problem as I've always been an adult during the Xbox Live era)

Frustrating as it may be I'm afraid if it is to do with his age setting on the account I can't really blame Microsoft for doing the right thing. Having worked in games retail long enough to know the punishments for under age selling to me it's natural that they would block a 7 year old buying 12 rated content. If they didn't it would be the case that kids would having been refused the sale simply toddle off to digitally download the stuff making a mockery of the entire rating system. If I had a pound for every time I refused a sale over age restrictions I could've retired at 19 (what can I say - GTA Vice City was released!) but I'd rather peeve someone off than get a £5k fine & 6 months at her majesty's leisure.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals