DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Options

Comments

• beckybow
    Options
    Hi everyone, just after a bit of advice. I started a DMP with SC in may 2013. before the end of 2013 i had a few defaults and have continued to pay and will be debt free in 6 months. I noticed that my halifax load however didnt default until august 2015, which means it will take loads longer to drop off. Is there anything i can do about it?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 24 October 2016 at 10:02AM
    Options
    Our first payment to StepChange is due to go out 1st November, so it's all new to us too. (We sort help a few months ago and deferred payment for one month) I too was terrified and bombarded this board and messaged people directly with worries!!
    at the moment I can say I worried for no reason and feel the happiest I have in a while. The relief I felt when we admitted our problem was huge, and seeking advice from StepChange was the best thing we could have done.
    We were living week to week, trying to stay afloat until we were literally drowning in debt. Credit cards, store cards, loans maxed. Some weeks we had nothing to live on. I'm actually amazed we did so well for so long!! Going through StepChange will change our lives, with the budget we've worked out we will actually have more for food, clothes and living than we've had in years!
    I'm gutted we didn't seek help sooner.

Welcome to the thread, heavenlyharry:hello:

What you said about living week to week and some weeks having nothing to live on reminded me what a nightmare life had become before I started my DMP.

I remember once it being the weekend before my pension was due and we were totally out of loo roll, cat food, milk and bread. I had 22p in my purse with 2 days to go:eek:. I had a table at a tabletop sale on the Saturday morning but because the weather was terrible and the event hadn't been advertised much there were hardly any buyers:(. I can still remember my desperation and feelings of panic as I counted up my cash at the end, a 'massive' £4.95 after fees:eek:.

Please shout out if ever there's anything you need to know or ask about your DMP. There's always someone who will be able to advise, reassure and encourage:)

Good Luck:beer:
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,917 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 October 2016 at 10:55AM
    Options
    beckybow wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just after a bit of advice. I started a DMP with SC in may 2013. before the end of 2013 i had a few defaults and have continued to pay and will be debt free in 6 months. I noticed that my halifax load however didnt default until august 2015, which means it will take loads longer to drop off. Is there anything i can do about it?

Hi beckybow,

If you think the Halifax should of defaulted you earlier, then send in a written complaint to that effect.

Companies usually issue a default notice after 3-6 missed contractual payments, then, if not remedied, also apply a default to your credit file, but not all follow the same time-frame unfortunately.

If you believe you will be unfairly affected by them issuing a late default, then send the complaint in.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • beckybow
    Options
    Thanks sourcrates, they seem to have counted the number of late payments in an odd way:
    July-Oct 2013 Arrangement to Pay
    Nov 2013 - 3 missed
    Dec 13 -March 2014 - 4 missed each month
    April 14 - June 14 - 5 missed each month
    July 14 - July15 - 6 missed each month
    Aug2015 -default.

Is this usual??
  • sourcrates
    Options
    beckybow wrote: »
    Thanks sourcrates, they seem to have counted the number of late payments in an odd way:
    July-Oct 2013 Arrangement to Pay
    Nov 2013 - 3 missed
    Dec 13 -March 2014 - 4 missed each month
    April 14 - June 14 - 5 missed each month
    July 14 - July15 - 6 missed each month
    Aug2015 -default.

Is this usual??

All i can say for sure is the two most complained about Banks on these forums, for anything linked to defaults, are Barclays (T/A Barclaycard) and Halifax.

So make of that what you will.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • NewYorkJetsFan
    Options
    Hi

Its been a little while since I posted but I wanted to share my news with you. I wrote to all 5 of my creditors offering them 35% F&F - 1 never got back to me, 1 told me to get bent, 1 wants to negotiate, Nationw**e took 36% and best of all Barc***s told me I couldn't afford 35% and took 30% !!!!!

Maybe I just caught them at the right time. I have my "you have paid letters" from them both.

Stepchange weren't particularly happy with me doing this, and it doesn't sit all that well with my conscience either, but I didn't force them to settle.

Have a great day
    NYJF
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Hi

Its been a little while since I posted but I wanted to share my news with you. I wrote to all 5 of my creditors offering them 35% F&F - 1 never got back to me, 1 told me to get bent, 1 wants to negotiate, Nationw**e took 36% and best of all Barc***s told me I couldn't afford 35% and took 30% !!!!!

Maybe I just caught them at the right time. I have my "you have paid letters" from them both.

Stepchange weren't particularly happy with me doing this, and it doesn't sit all that well with my conscience either, but I didn't force them to settle.

Have a great day
    NYJF

Congratulations !!!!

Stepchange are great when people need them, but, as they are financed by the credit industry, they have a policy of treating all creditors the same, which from there point of view is understandable, however its not always best for you the individual.

In the end, if you can settle for less with one or more creditors, then good for you, i really would not let your conscience bother you, this is business, pure and simple, profit and loss tend to go hand in hand where debt is concerned.
  • tequilabird
    Options
    I'm already a year into my DMP. The debts are my own, but now I'm married. My husband knows about my debts, but our 'joint' funds don't go towards them. We have recently opened a joint account and I'm in the process of a benefit claim as I've just had a baby. It's asking which account I want the benefit paid into - I want to put the joint account, but not if it will show I have more money for DMP payments. Will they look at joint accounts or just my sole account that I have used so far?
    Lightbulb Moment: 18/01/2015 :j
    Current Debt: 31,869.62 :eek:
    DMP Start Date: 01/09/2015
    DFD: TBC but sooner rather than later, I hope! :beer:
  • sourcrates
    Options
    It's asking which account I want the benefit paid into - I want to put the joint account, but not if it will show I have more money for DMP payments. Will they look at joint accounts or just my sole account that I have used so far?

Hi,

Who is they ?

Are you referring to creditors, or your DMP provider ?

Who is your DMP with by the way ?
  • tequilabird
    Options
    Hi

Have a great day
    NYJF

Are the creditors who said no still on DMP with you then?
    Lightbulb Moment: 18/01/2015 :j
    Current Debt: 31,869.62 :eek:
    DMP Start Date: 01/09/2015
    DFD: TBC but sooner rather than later, I hope! :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business