Options

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 23 February 2016 at 9:52PM
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Original creditors almost never take legal action for a normal consumer debt, unless you owe a large amount of money, or it's a mortgage.
    Usual senario is it first goes to Inhouse collections, then may be passed around numerous DCA's to attempt collection.

Eventually, if no payment has been agreed, they sell them on to firms such as Cabot and Lowell, who again will spend a year or more trying to get you to pay, then if you don't pay, or you ignore them, then they may get legal on you.

Mostly, yes.

A few exceptions.

Amex do or used to have a thing about bankruptcy proceedings, but perhaps not so much now.

Nationwide have/had a habit of going for a CCJ themselves if they thought there was a property with equity they could get a charging order on.

Perhaps a few others.....

However, that is by far a tiny % aso no need to be alarmed.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • make_the_change
    Options
    My main one is with Nationwide and I received yet another letter stating they haven't heard from me anymore despite sending them two letters saying I want to offer token payments and am working with SC. :(
    DMP Started June 2016
  • Scottishmummy
    Options
    Brogden wrote: »
    I have had two debts with Scabot. Do not worry.....they are no trouble at all and they settled at 40% (discount 60%.)

Remember the golden rules which I have said so many times......keep in contact (letter or telephone) and pay them 'something' with an agreed payment arrangement in place and that works for any and all of them nowadays and legals will not ensue :) !!

I am sure January and Sourcrates will think I am a right 'goody two shoes' but I know those two are fearless warriors :p !!

They have had the debts for a few years now and on the whole have been fine except for the one they re-defaulted when they bought it. We fought it but they insisted they were in the right. My concern above was because we are going self-managed next month and plan on a couple of months token payments followed by proper pro-rata payments which means the payments they have been getting from SC could change dramatically. That's good news on the F&F's though because would hope to start with some of them soon too but I'll be asking for those all important CCAs first.
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • Ali80
    Ali80 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,

Not been on here for quite a while, had a few personal issues and it's been a tough last 6 months to be honest! I'm trying to catch up with what I've missed and am glad everyone's doing ok and offering great advice to others.

I'm one year into DMP now and it's gone quite quick really! Only 5-ish years to go. I've paid off nearly 6k and had my first credit-free Christmas for as long as I can remember, which is such a nice feeling! Still a long way to go though.

Of my 9 creditors: 6 have defaulted, BC says 'OK' on Noddle, and Next has an 'AR' marker....which is annoying, especially given that it's my smallest debt at about £300! The most frustrating by far though is Argos, who have charged me £16 in interest for the last 12 months and have not defaulted. Argos is marked as 'payment is up to 4 months late' though, so I'm hoping for a default soon :cool:.

Just wanted to check in and say that this forum (especially the stalwarts who have stuck around the whole time!) has given me, and probably hundreds of others the confidence to go ahead and deal with my debts head on.

Great forum, keep up the good work!

Love Al x
    LBM: 18th January 2015:idea:
    DMP start date:
    1st April 2015

Debt at start: £36,668 :eek:
    Current debt:
    £30,557
    DFD: February 2021

16.39% paid :j
  • Ali80
    Options
    P.S. I can't remember how to change my signature and it's upped from 6% to 16% now!! :j
    DMP start date:
    1st April 2015

Current debt:
    £30,557

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Ali80 wrote: »
    P.S. I can't remember how to change my signature and it's upped from 6% to 16% now!! :j

A few ways to get there depending on what forum version you are on.

Direct link is here --> Edit Signature
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • MrsSammyB
    Options
    Ali80 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Not been on here for quite a while, had a few personal issues and it's been a tough last 6 months to be honest! I'm trying to catch up with what I've missed and am glad everyone's doing ok and offering great advice to others.

I'm one year into DMP now and it's gone quite quick really! Only 5-ish years to go. I've paid off nearly 6k and had my first credit-free Christmas for as long as I can remember, which is such a nice feeling! Still a long way to go though.

Of my 9 creditors: 6 have defaulted, BC says 'OK' on Noddle, and Next has an 'AR' marker....which is annoying, especially given that it's my smallest debt at about £300! The most frustrating by far though is Argos, who have charged me £16 in interest for the last 12 months and have not defaulted. Argos is marked as 'payment is up to 4 months late' though, so I'm hoping for a default soon :cool:.

Just wanted to check in and say that this forum (especially the stalwarts who have stuck around the whole time!) has given me, and probably hundreds of others the confidence to go ahead and deal with my debts head on.

Great forum, keep up the good work!

Love Al x

Argos were the first to default me - but still charge me interest every single month no matter what argument I have with them!

Keep up the good work, it all sounds like you're doing well xx
    Mrs B ❤️

LBM May 2015 - Stepchange DMP started August 2015
    Debt May 2015 £43,464
    Current (Feb 2017 £32, 328
    :beer:
  • Ali80
    Options
    MrsSammyB wrote: »
    Argos were the first to default me - but still charge me interest every single month no matter what argument I have with them!

Keep up the good work, it all sounds like you're doing well xx

Thanks! I rang them early on in the payment plan and they refused to stop interest, I'm thining of writing to them now to tell them how evil they are and that everyone else has stopped interest etc!! ;) Worth a try I guess!
    DMP start date:
    1st April 2015

Current debt:
    £30,557

• muppetscotland
    Options
    Need to add these chaps to my new DMP but a bit scared as they seem particularly harsh when I was 1 day late with a payment they HOUNDED me. Anyone had experience of them in a DMP?

With thanks
    Travelling hopefully 🏃
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Advice needed....We are 1 year into our DMP with SC and due to losing my job and having to get something else sorted, I asked SC if we could drop to token payments for 3 months until we were sorted again. They said yes, we could go to £5 token payments (wouldn't do £1) and they advised that I write and tell all the preditors....which I did.

With Lloyds we have 2 credit cards and 2 bank accounts that had big OD's and a loan (loan already defaulted) They wrote to us re the bank accs and said token payments were fine and they would be sending the acc's to recoveries dept with a view to default...all fine so far. Then today OH's CC'd statement has arrived showing the £5 payment but they have suddenly started putting on interest again at 24%!!!...:mad:this had all been stopped when we first started the DMP!
    I am sure I remember reading somewhere before that if you have more than one account with the same company, they have to treat them all the same? How they think that is helpful to add all that interest is beyond me! I tell them I have no job for a couple of months and they add £65 interest!!!! Ludicrous!

Any advice as to the best course of action
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport