Broadband & USB Lexmark 3100 Printer

in Techie Stuff
5 replies 1.5K views
Why oh Why does Tesco's Broadband not like my existing printer. I have had to uninstall the printer as a result of my computor hanging up and freezing. I've checked all the drivers and files - nothing missing and I've also checked the device manager for potential conflicts, but there is nothing apparent. I would be very grateful for some advice as: a. I can use broadband or b. I can use my printer - but not both at the same time.

Many Thanks

Dave
Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS

Replies

• I'm wondering, you say it's Tesco broadband that doesn't like the printer, have you had other broadband that was ok?

If you're meaning that the problem has occured since you went to broadband (and it just happens to be Tesco) then it's probably being caused by the hardware.

Is the broadband modem USB? if so I suspect a power issue on the USB bus, you might be able to cure this by using a powered hub and connecting one or both to this, rather than directly.
  • only a thought but perhaps the usb modem is sharing the same IRQ as the Printer?
  • Many thanks for that - I'll try the simple IRQ first and see what happens. I was actually thinking of re-formatting everything next week but I may just bring it forward. I will report back when I can.

Regards

Dave
  • Many Thanks for your help, I discovered that the simple solution was to run MSCONFIG and uncheck all the programmes running with the exception of Express and the Systray. So far there doesn't appear to be any further problems.

Regards
    Dave
  • Hi,

If you do this, and you have any antivirus or firewall software installed, make sure this is ticked as well. If not, it wont run on startup so you probably wont be protected.

K

"Many Thanks for your help, I discovered that the simple solution was to run MSCONFIG and uncheck all the programmes running with the exception of Express and the Systray. So far there doesn't appear to be any further problems"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals