Restarting Tax Credits?

Options
Hi all.

Early March this year, my 16 year old daughter had to leave college suddenly due to severe depression. I notified the Tax Credits/Child Benefit offices and these payments have stopped as she is not in full-time education any more.

She is now on the mend and has enrolled in a full-time college course beginning in September this year. At the beginning of this month, I wrote letters to the Tax Credits/Child Benefit offices regarding this. My question is this: will they restart the Child Tax Credits and Child Benefit for her? What is the procedure to get her back in the system and for us to claim these benefits for her?

Unfortunately, my husband, due to his ill health, has had to take a part-time, min wage job. I am part time, too, for just above min wage, so not a great deal coming in. I've picked up overtime to keep us afloat, but could really use some good news about these Tax Credits/Child Benefit. We have another school-aged child, too.

Comments

• Mimosa
    Mimosa Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Please help, anyone? I had someone say to me yesterday that because we are no longer getting Child Tax Credits/Child Benefit for her, we will never get these for her again. This means that her college course will be out the window as we cannot afford the transport and course costs.
  • Mimosa
    Options
    I have a current CTC and WTC claim, but she was removed from it at the beginning of March. Only my other child is being claimed for.

How do I make a new application? I have written to them and told them that she will be re-entering full-time non-advanced education, but have had no word back. Will they send an application form for her? Phoning them is futile - I have been cut off so often after waiting for ages.
  • Mimosa
    Options
    Oh, thank you, blondebubbles. I shall phone first thing on Monday. Not relishing the prospect, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure