We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

High end product addiction :-)

Options
Kim_kim
Kim_kim Posts: 3,726
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 10 July 2015 at 5:59AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
I use nearly all high end make up, toiletries & hair care - despite being a savvy money saver in every other area.
It's my luxury, the beautiful jars & bottles are a pleasure to use. A lot of the packaging is so lovely that the items actually look attractive in the bathroom & not stuff you hide away.
The packaging, product & consistency give a great user experience too.

Anyone else feel the user experience justifies the cost?

There are one or two things I don't tend to spend huge sums on, oddly one is perfume (which many people who don't spend much on other products will happily splash out on). I buy a few from the perfume parlour, I do have a few brands too.
I was a bottle of Dior portafino but it's about £70 & I can't bring myself to part with £70 for a bottle of scent ! I keep hoping the perfume parlour will do a dupe, but they don't :-(

I only use hair conditioner once in a blue moon & im happy to use Aussie moist when I do.
I use regular antiperspirants - is there such a thing as high end anyway!

Even toothpaste I use Rembrandt!

Anyone have my addiction :-) wanna fess up your weaknesses :-). Is it broad spectrum or just isolated items?
It's not one I'm looking to cure myself of :-)
It's my luxury & recreation in one :-)

Comments

• Sandhy
    Options
    Not sure whether one could call these high end products but I use Mitcham deodorant and Sensodyne toothpaste. I stock up when they're on offer though.
    Apart from that I'm not brand faithful and mostly go for cheap and cheerful!
  • welshbookworm
    Options
    I've learnt that its not just the cost of the item, its the cost per use that is equally important.
    A bottle of perfume may cost £70, but if you get just 70 sprays out of it, thats a £1 a time, which is cheaper than a take away coffee and probably brings you more 'feel good' !
    I've also learnt at birthdays and Christmas, when people ask me what I want for a present I am quite specific and will ask for a certain perfume or a gift voucher for a shop that sells it.
    Not sure the bottle of Marc Jacobs Amber will last till my birthday though :(
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • donnac2558
    Options
    Toothpaste no.

But yes I am all about the highend. I have mild rosacea so cannot use the cheap stuff breaks me out(well M&S own brand Neck Cream is fabulous), so I know by ingredients what I can use. So its Elemis and Algenist for me.

I use WEN for haircare and my hair loves it.

My big spend is makeup, Gucci,By Terry, Chantecaille,Guerlain,YSL, Tom Ford,I do have some Zoeva.

Perfume, I have over a hundred bottles, don't do celeb designers, Serge Lutens, Guerlain(classics), Caron, Parfumerie Generale, L'Artisan Parfumeur, Chanel exclusifs.
  • Fluff15
    Options
    Perfume is one of those things that I think it's fine to splurge on. I have a bottle of Chanel Chance that was bought for my birthday last year in April, it cost £80 and still has some left. When I've had cheaper perfumes, the scent hasn't lasted as long so I've used more of it, and therefore end up finishing the bottle much quicker.

I also can't be without expensive foundation - I tried switching to Revlon and although it was good the colour just didn't match right and I'd need to mix two to get the right shade. Buying two, I might as well have bought my more expensive one.

I find high end lipsticks are much better quality than the cheaper ones, but I don't mind buying cheap ones as I like to switch colours often. I have a deep purple Dior lipstick though and it's divine - I could never have bought that colour if it wasn't of that quality.

I use cheap blush (MUA) and translucent powder (Rimmel) though, and also Max Factor mascara which at £10 I still find expensive! These do the job just fine, and I see little difference in the quality in comparison to more expensive brands of the same shade.
  • suki1964
    Options
    Only thing I spend on is Liz Earle

Tried cheaper and dearer products and nothing suits me as well as Liz Earle

And it looks pretty in the bathroom :)

But being money savvy, it's bought when on offer and it's a Christmas pressie from mum
  • Almost all of my stuff - from make up to lotion to shower gel to shampoo - is high end. I never really thought about it before now!

I used to work for estee lauder group so all my products are from their subsidiary brands with very few exceptions, because I got such a great discount on them - see, there is SOME moneysaving in there!

I'm not really sure what I'll do once I run out! I've never paid more than £10 for my foundation thanks to my staff discount and I'm not sure I want to start!
    Undergrad law student. Take my advice with a pinch of salt! :rotfl:
  • wannabeslim
    Options
    Everything high end here too, mainly EL and MAC make up with a few exceptions I'll list below, I don't care either, value for money is all about performance for me, if its sitting in my drawer unused its a waste of money :-

Head & Shoulders shampoo
    Cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser
    Rimmel stay matte powder
    Superdrug hair dye for tinting brows
    Siennasol tan solution (pro product but great value)
    Mitchum deodorant
    Oral B toothpaste
  • System
    Options
    Ive yet to find a foundation in a cheaper range that i like and ive tried loads.

My eyeshadows are Urban Decay. Cant find any others that match it for payoff and quality.

Lipsticks i find i can get a decent quality at a cheaper price though. My favourite lipstick cost me £2.99.

My perfume is high end.

Blushers i am struggling with. I am looking for colours with a silver sheen to them rather than matte or with a gold sheen.
  • elisebutt65
    Options
    I'm a Guerlain girl (woman). I buy the Parure Gold foundation when it's half price. Just stocked up as they're about to repackage it. I use Clarins Super Regenerative face & eye creams & again, I wait until they have the value boxes out at Xmas to re-stock.
    I belong to Frag Comm(Facebook group) and buy 2nd hand niche perfumes. I also joined The Perfume Society and they bring out tester boxes regularly for a tenner a pop. Just got one and it has a lovely Creed Virgin Island Water tester in.
    I also buy testers from Bloom Perfumery & Les Senteurs. its one way to get the niches without spending a small fortune.
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• Kim_kim
    Options
    value for money is all about performance for me, if its sitting in my drawer unused its a waste of money :-

Thats exactly how I feel.
    I think we demand a lot of our make up & tolitries now.
    I want products that really work hard for the money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport