Confused....Severe disability premium/pip/esa..any experts care to help?

Options
Hello all & again thanks SO much for your help. I wonder if you could advise.

Bothe my partner & I have been awarded enhanced daily living allowence (no mobility). On the advice of our local benefits advisor we phoned DWP yesterday & applied for a couples based INCOME related ESA. We've been on cont. based ESA since Mayish time. The DWP advisor is sending out a form ESA3 & IS10 (apparently not available online-silly or what). I've ben advised to fill/claim on the IS10 as I am more likely to 'maybe' find some work-my partner is not likely in the forseeable to be able to work-even part time. Our benefits advisor suggested we BOTH put in a Claim for Carers allowence (even though he said we won't get it as the ESA ammt is too high) as this gives us an 'underlying entitlement' (I'm sure the experts on this will know more as to what this means!) to other benefits..which may include either severe disability premium or a carers premium (not a clew what the rules are on this)...which will be backdated to the date of the PIP application.

We have no other people in the house & in effect care for each other over 35 hours a week. We are still in the assesment phase of ESA.

My question is....

1)-has anyone any idea of the amount that might be backdated (PIP claim 27/5) for either the Carers premium or Severe Disability Premium?

2)-Any idea which of the 2 we'll get?

3)-Will this have any impact on HB rates or Council Tax help?

4)-If I was to start work (I made it clear at the ATOS assesment that I have worked in the last 5 years but only from home as my MH issues won't allow me to work in an office) would my partner carry on receiving any enhanced Severe disability premiums/Carers premiums on top of her ESA?

5)-Are there any other benefits to BOTH of us being on enhanced daily living PIP such as cheaper buss fare, tv licence, cinema, leisure centres etc?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help. I did try my local benefits advisor & one out of my area but quite frankly I'm not too well today & could not quite understand what the back payments or indeed any future payments for these extra premiums might be. :beer:

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    The system seems very unfair when those in the WRAG are facing significant cuts, whilst others are maximising their entitlement through claiming to be able to care for others but not themselves. Sad, sad times :(
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure that you would both be able to demonstrate that you care for each other 35 hours a week?

IQ
  • TRAVELMAN_2
    TRAVELMAN_2 Posts: 864 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2015 at 6:58PM
    Options
    Tomtontom-'Claiming' to be able to care for others? How do you know? Ulness you can help then please don't post.
  • TRAVELMAN_2
    Options
    Ice queen-yes-all the supporting documents for PIP gave full details of our MH issues. I'm just following the advice of our benefits advisor but got confused with the facts/fugures.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    TRAVELMAN wrote: »
    Ice queen-yes-all the supporting documents for PIP gave full details of our MH issues. I'm just following the advice of our benefits advisor but got confused with the facts/fugures.

That's fine, i say that only because I have seen more cases recently where the fact that someone is caring for another person has affected their PIP/DLA. Also, 35 hours of full care is quite a high threshold.

IQ
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    TRAVELMAN wrote: »

But if you need such a high level of support, how can you claim to provide the same level to someone else - can you not see the contradiction there? Did you declare in your application that you are capable of caring for someone with severe mental health issues on a full time basis?
  • TRAVELMAN_2
    Options
    Tomtontom-at a PIP assesment it's about YOU-not caring for others. Without wishing to get into a bickering session with you-this is what I've been advised to do by my Benefits Advisor-the fact is we won't get Carers alowence due to the income from ESA but this entitles us to this 'underlying entitlement' which-we've been advised opens up to other benefits such as the severe disability premium. We DO care for each other-we have up & down days but according to PIP guidelines must be 51% or more of the time. When you live together 5 hours a day of looking after each other, looking for warning signs etc is hardly a lot is it?

The main purpose of my post was to get some technical advice on figures/which benefits thats all. I do agree with you, the possible forthcoming WRAG restrictions stink!
  • eadieb
    eadieb Posts: 238 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2015 at 7:52PM
    Options
    carers premium I think can get backdated by about 3 months, but if you claim carers premium for the same time period as severe disability premium then it could affect your entitlement positively or negatively. your case is complex as it is a couple but the general rules for adding severe disability premium onto an ESA claim is that the claimant lives alone and no one claims carers allowance for them. However if you are in a couple and the other person is also entitled to SDP then you are still entitled to it.

however the benefit book I am looking at then says that if both of you meet the conditions you get the couple rate of SDP but if someone claims carers for one of you then you only get a single person SDP. Then it says that only actual receipt of carers allowance counts and if all you get is the underlying entitlement premium then it does not affect you.

so in summary I would say that if I was looking at your benefit options I would want to do some various scenarios on a benefit calculator to check what happens to your benefits in the situation your propose and taking into account your likelihood to move into one of the ESA groups after your medical.

severe disability premium is just an added component that is added onto your means tested benefit calculation. So it is normally only backdated and added onto your ESA for as long as you have been claiming the relevant benefit. so for as long as you have had the income support or JSA or ESA claim. AND the DLA/PIP daily living/care. I am not sure if it is added to assessment phase ESA though so I think you need to check that one.
  • eadieb
    eadieb Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    sorry I haven't time to do the calculations for you at moment.

as a side issue. Severe disability premium can get added/backdated for as long as you have had the entitlement and I have had numerous clients I have found on contribution based esa support group + elegible DLA/PIP for SDP, but because they were contribution based ESA then the DWP had not bothered adding the SDP into their calculations and they were usually missing out on income related ESA.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    do NOT claim carers allowance!
    even on costs based ESA, you can receive an income related top up. this will include 2 x severe disability premiums.
    you can only get this if you both receive PIP ( which you do) and NO ONR claims carers allowance for looking after you.

as income related claims are based on household income, any paid employnebt you take will effect the amount of benefits paid.

PIP does not automatically lead to other concessions, but some facilities allow a carer in for free.

if you go the CA route, all you will benefit by is receiving 2 x carers premiums which amount to around £70 a week.
    the 2 x SDP amount to £122 a week.

as you get enhanced PIP you will also receive the enhanced disability premium.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure