MoneySaving Poll: How many times have you switched energy provider?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
14 replies 2.6K views
Former_MSE_Sam_MFormer_MSE_Sam_M Former MSE
346 Posts
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
Poll started 7 July 2015

How many times have you switched energy provider in the last five years?

The Competition & Markets Authority has just launched a damning energy sector report, proving most people are being overcharged (see energy news).

One of the major problems is not enough people switch, and those who do don’t switch often enough (one reason we launched our Cheap Energy Club.)

So we want to know how many times someone in your household has switched in the last five years.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• PmarmaladePmarmalade Forumite
    175 Posts
    Did a lot of switching in the past between moving from rental to rental and before price fixes became a thing.
  • happydays89happydays89 Forumite
    304 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have just switched to first utility,I joined a a big switch that was advertised on TV,if over 20,000 joined they negotiated a good rate.
  • TigsteroonieTigsteroonie Forumite
    24.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only switched provider three times in five years, but that was because the comparison sites advised that my current supplier actually had the best deal so I stayed with the same provider and switched deal instead.

Not sure the poll will be accurate, even though making it clearer could create even more options. Better would be "how many times have you looked into changing provider ...", as that gives a more accurate measure of how many of us are actually concerned about prices.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only switched provider three times in five years . . .
    It's a pity the survey makes no distinction between changing supplier and changing tariff. I wonder if the CMA is similarly deceiving itself.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • edited 7 July 2015 at 10:51PM
    techno12techno12 Forumite
    656 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 7 July 2015 at 10:51PM
    I've switched every year to my provider's current cheapest tariff - done this 5 or 6 times now.

Also collected around £30 cashback each time as I do it via a comparison site so it's a no-brainer, especially as my provider is often near or at the top of the 'cheapest' list whenever I check for my postcode.
  • edited 8 July 2015 at 12:44AM
    patannepatanne Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    edited 8 July 2015 at 12:44AM
    I too have switched to my providers cheaper deal regularly, but not switched providers as the max savings have been £16 per year. Frankly that just isn't enough to go through the aggravation of them getting something seriously wrong. Sometimes it is better the devil you know. With the emphasis on devil because even a long term supplier is NOT your friend and needs to be watched with an eagle eye. Just don't get me started on replacement meters.

Re the vote - not an appropriate category for me to vote in - which is why I have posted.
  • XRATXRAT Forumite
    232 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    ARE YOU WITH EDF?
    I went for long fixes but have switched 3 times in 5 years. Because yesterday, I noticed that a year into my three year fix they now do a two year fix (so to around the same 2017 end date) cheaper. With no exit fees to worry about, of course I changed.
    (I wonder how long it's been available, I might have saved a few quid more!)
  • I've reviewed and fixed prices regularly, but not switched supplier because my budget is too tight to cope with higher monthly direct debit rates that a supplier who does not have history of my usage could levy.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 6 #246 £36.42:j
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see that, in this week's newsletter, the question for this poll has been changed from changes of provider, as at the head this thread, to changes of tariff.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Teddy3Teddy3 Forumite
    4 Posts
    I'm another who has stayed with the same provider but changed tariff several times. This site is great for enabling research into what offers are around, giving me the confidence to ask for what I want and so far I've got a better deal. I do wish they would put us - their customers, on the most suitable tariff to start with rather than us having to wade through all the confusion to ask for the best deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides