Child Tax Credit - arrgghh!

Options
If I earn 26K and my partner earns 19K, with three children would we be entitiled to child tax credit?
I was on maternity for most of the last tax year, so my earnings for that year were around 14K.
I've used the calculators online, but don't really understand or trust them.

Does anyone here have experience with this, and would we be entitled to anything?

Thanks

Comments

• Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options
    emily22 wrote: »
    If I earn 26K and my partner earns 19K, with three children would we be entitiled to child tax credit?
    I was on maternity for most of the last tax year, so my earnings for that year were around 14K.
    I've used the calculators online, but don't really understand or trust them.

Does anyone here have experience with this, and would we be entitled to anything?

Thanks

Yes I would have thought so if your joint income was £35K altogether last year and you have 3 kiddies. (All under 18 I assume?)

Ring The Tax Credits helpline and they will take your income details and inform you in writing several weeks later whether you can get anything. It can't hurt to find out. You may only get £50 a month, but that's better than nothing. :)
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • emily22
    emily22 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.
    We do have childcare costs. Currently they total £200 per week, but will increase to nearer £275 or so from September. At the moment we are seriously considering one of us giving up the job.
    How would I calculate what we are entitled to?
    Thanks
  • emily22
    Options
    If I apply for child tax credits in the next few weeks, will my third child still be counted for?
    The impression I got from the budget today was that third children will be discounted from April 2017?
    My three are aged 6, 3 and 1.
    Do these changes affect my entitlement this tax year? Or next?

Thanks
  • emily22
    Options
    Thanks. Does that mean that if I apply in the next week or so, the information that the HMRC gave me re entitlement figure should still be the same?
    Presumably we'd then get less next year?
    If anyone here is able to work out next years entitlement I'd be very grateful, as my husband and I are trying to work out what to do long term. This could result in one of us giving up a full time position. Thanks.
  • emily22
    Options
    Just bumping this in the hope that someone might be able to help...:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business