Student financial advice please.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
2 replies 948 views
mrs_ldsmrs_lds Forumite
4.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I won, I won, I won!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
Our son left home at 18 to volunteer abroad for 2 years. He has financed this all himself and will be hime At 20 years old to start a five year masters. Regarding student finance is it true there maybe a loophole whereby he might be exempt from paying tuition fees as ge has been independant for over two years or is someone havinf a laugh? Any advice appreciated


  • TaikoTaiko Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    No truth whatsoever. In actual fact, he could well be ineligible for any finance, depending on where he was.
  • scattersongscattersong Forumite
    35 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Definitely not exempt I would have thought.

    Maybe you're thinking of his status as an 'independent student'.
    That would mean that the loan/grant would be based off his income and not his parents. (so in effect he'd probably be able to borrow more money)

    According to SFE:
    Independent students

    If you're an independent student your income and your partner's income is assessed.
    You're classed as an independent student if:
    • you're 25 or older
    • you have a child
    • you have no living parents
    • you are or have been married or in a civil partnership
    • you've supported yourself for three years
    • you're estranged from your parents
    However to be eligible:
    Your nationality or residency status

    You can apply if:
    • you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
    • you normally live in England
    • you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course
    Take a look here for more info.....

    Probably best to ring them up and speak to someone though. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals