Quick Question about car registrations

Options
Gaz83
Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
Hi folks, quick question here.

My old car failed its MOT in January and was going to cost a fair whack to fix (a couple of thousand) that we couldn't afford. I bought a wee runaround for £400 that's done me well but its MOT is up in September and we'll be in a position to get something a bit better.

Now my old car has a personalised plate on it. I have the choice of transferring it onto my wee runabout but then will have to transfer it again when we replace it in September.

Obviously this would incur two transfer fees.

Does anyone know if I pay to have the plate put onto retention, would I still have to pay a further transfer fee to put it onto whichever car we get in September?

Thanks in advance.
"Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."

Comments

• Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The new retention fee system is a one-payment thing - it includes the eventual transfer onto a new/different vehicle at any point in the next 10 years.

There was thread about the new system a few weeks ago.

I wrote this in May:

It's now incredibly easy on-line.

Take off - https://www.gov.uk/keep-registration-number

You pay £80 and it's valid for 10 years - once the online application is successful, you can use the retention certificate which will be issued by post to assign the personalised registration to a new vehicle.

Again it can be done on-line.

Put on - https://www.personalisedvehicleregis...vehicle-lookup

It's only operative during office hours though- at other times it will tell you the page is not available.
  • Gaz83
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So if I pay to have the registration put onto retention, I wouldn't need to pay another fee at the time to transfer it onto a new car?
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gaz83 wrote: »
    So if I pay to have the registration put onto retention, I wouldn't need to pay another fee at the time to transfer it onto a new car?

You've got it. :D
  • Gaz83
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for that!
  • JohnM5206
    JohnM5206 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My recollection is that a valid MOT is required on donor vehicle in order to transfer a reg, or has that changed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure