HELMS - solar panel installation (Scotland)

spaceboy
spaceboy Posts: 1,906 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 29 June 2015 at 9:16PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
This is a company based in Glasgow i believe and they cold called our area recently.

They visited us and did a technical survey, and then came back to show us the quote and get us to sign the contract. However I was not totally convinced by them and told the guy we wanted to think about it. He didn't seem happy and claimed he'd driven all the way from Glasgow for the appointment with us only. I asked if we could keep the quote and think about it and he said no he had to take that away with him, and as he was leaving he said if you change your mind give us a call.

Seems very odd that he wouldn't leave the quote with us! Has anyone else had dealings with this company? I believe they used to be called PV Solar UK Ltd, or that is who installs the panels.

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Does seem odd.
    At what price?
    What amount of panels?
    Paying much more than 5K/4kW would seem a rip-off.
  • spaceboy
    edited 29 June 2015 at 9:38PM
    It wasnt completely clear. There was a price of £8k-odd for 14 panels on a south-facing roof, but there was also a figure of £12k-odd which didnt get explained properly. There's a lot of "you wont be paying that" because of the money your panels are making.

The price did include installation and maintenance of the panels for 23 years.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Cold calling, double glazing tactics... I would say follow your instincts and walk away. Folk on here can no doubt make local recommendations and you could look at yougen.co.uk for local firms.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    spaceboy wrote: »
    It wasnt completely clear. There was a price of £8k-odd for 14 panels on a south-facing roof, but there was also a figure of £12k-odd which didnt get explained properly. There's a lot of "you wont be paying that" because of the money your panels are making.

This is about double the best figure you might expect for 8K. The 12K is remarkably similar to the 'with finance' option that others have mentioned in another similar thread.
    Run away, and report these people to
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A little Googling finds some worrying stories.

But more particularly, a video describes their scheme based upon the Green Deal. That is presented as an alternative to FITS but you own the panels. I suspect that the owner may own the panels and the loan which funds them and some how the deal arranger takes the FITS.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • spaceboy
    rogerblack wrote: »
    This is about double the best figure you might expect for 8K. The 12K is remarkably similar to the 'with finance' option that others have mentioned in another similar thread.
    Run away, and report these people to

The yougen.co.uk website does seem to indicate that £8k is about the usual price.
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    The yougen.co.uk website does seem to indicate that £8k is about the usual price.

But they are way behind current pricing.

If you just wander round the Green & ethical board here you will find the majority of posters in the last year had their installs done for less than 6k. I'd even go so far add to suggest the average is 5.2k, but that's a quick flick round.
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • smitchy73
    smitchy73 Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had similar quotes from HELMS, I'm in Ayrshire, quote was £8k, with interest etc on their finance deal, pay back to the company was about £12.5k over the ten years paying about £108pm. You could pay the £8k in cash though. You'd be daft. They also couldn't tell me which panels or inverters they use as "they just use the best in the market at the time".

I started to get other quotes from various other companies and was down to about £5500 for a 4kWh system, not with finance though, this was all payable with a deposit and on completion.
    Thanks to all the competition posters.
  • spaceboy
    edited 30 June 2015 at 1:03PM
    Thanks. I used the installer search page on

http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/consumers/installer-search

and there are a lot of installers based near me who I will try.

I did ask the HELMS guy about the type of panels and he wasn't very clear, mentioned the names Sharp and Panasonic but he couldn't be clearer than that.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

That's not strictly true, they suggest a price range of £6k to £8k. I'd interpret that to mean £7k is their (out of date) average, and £8k is the high end.
    The cost of photovoltaic systems has fallen rapidly since the feed-in tariff was introduced. A 1.5kW system will cost around £4,000. You should be able to get a 4kW installation for £6 - 8,000.

And, as TBL points out, those prices are out of date. £4k for a 1.5kWp system :rotfl: I paid £4k for my 2kWp system back in July 2012.

For 4kWp, TBL's £5.2k seems a reasonable guess based on researched and haggled installs reported on these threads. Most seem to be beating £6k, and we've had quite a few in the mid to high £4k's too.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure