parking charge situation/scenario

Hi guys

I got a parking charge notice through the mail on friday.

Tony at work said i should come here for help.

The pcn was from Norfolk Parking Enforcement. who are a member of the BPA
They have a photo of my car.

I foolishly parked in a residential area of private parking for 15 mins.

"unauthorised parking" is what they have got me for.

Its £100 or £60 if i pay within 14 days.

What should i do??? Is there a template i can use to fight this???

Hope someone can help xxx

Replies

• waamowaamo Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try reading the thread that starts with the word "NEWBIES". It's a sticky thread at the top of the forum and also says you should read it first.
  • waamo wrote: »
    Try reading the thread that starts with the word "NEWBIES". It's a sticky thread at the top of the forum and also says you should read it first.

on it, many thanks
  • ok so i first send the template i have copied and pasted below???

I then await for them to decide before the POLPLA stage???

Date

Dear Sirs

Re: PCN No. ....................

I challenge this 'PCN' as keeper of the car, on these main grounds:

a). The sum is disproportionate, does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss, nor is it a core price term.
    b) The sum is extravagant and unconscionable and cannot be justified.
    c). There is no evidence that you have any interest in the land. I will complain to the landowner about your aggressive ticketing.
    d). Your 'Notice' fails to comply with the POFA so there can be no keeper liability.
    e). I believe that the signs were not seen/are ambiguous and the predominant purpose is to deter so there is no contract to pay this charge, which is a penalty.

Formal challenge
    There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn. You must either rely on the POFA 2012 or cancel the charge. I will only appeal further if you offer POPLA, the only independent ADR with a scrutiny panel and trained Assessors. The 'IAS' offered by IPC firms will not be used, for well-documented reasons.

''Drop hands'' offer
    The charge is baseless but I realise that you may have nominal postage costs. Equally, I have incurred costs for responding to your junk mail dressed up to mimic a parking ticket. It is clear that my costs and yours, at this point, do not exceed £15 so this is a formal “drop hands” offer. I remind you of the duty to mitigate any loss, so withdraw the spurious charge within 35 days and I will not pursue you for my costs.

Breach of CCRs
    I hereby give notice of withdrawal from this alleged 'contract' which was never properly offered nor expressly agreed. This 'contract' is cancelled and any obligations now end.

I have kept proof of submission of this appeal and look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,

{obviously add the registered keeper's name, obviously add your postal address even if emailing (!) as long as you are sure the PPC is an AOS member}

• FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait until about day 21 before you submit your appeal. This is so the PPC don't have time to review and rebut your appeal points before the deadline. Make sure you don't miss the appeal deadline though.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Fruitcake wrote: »
    Wait until about day 21 before you submit your appeal. This is so the PPC don't have time to review and rebut your appeal points before the deadline. Make sure you don't miss the appeal deadline though.

Oh really, have you known this to work then???
    52.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    dianabowl wrote: »
    Oh really, have you known this to work then???

I believe it mentions it somewhere in the NEWBIES thread. Coupon-Mad who wrote said NEWBIES thread has mentioned it on several occassions before now in other threads.

You can send it as soon as you like, but it allows the PPC to amend the PCN to make it harder for you to win, or win at PoPLA.

The chances are that the PPC will reject your appeal anyway, but this is the norm. What you are after is the PoPLA code where you are more likely to win if the PPC doesn't cancel.
  • Fruitcake wrote: »

Oh hang on, it says i have 14 days to repond.

Or are you talking about the POPLA appeal letter to delay sending??
    52.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh hang on, it says i have 14 days to repond.

Or are you talking about the POPLA appeal letter to delay sending??

My apologies, the wait until day 21 is if you are appealing a windscreen ticket, not if you are appealing a NTK. Please ignore my previous ramblings.

The 14 days is the discount carrot period, not the deadline for PoPLA appeals. Since you don't owe anything, the discount period can be ignored.
  • Hi all, ok so just checking the template i put earlier in bold is the correct initial appeal letter??
    thanks xxx
    52.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all, ok so just checking the template i put earlier in bold is the correct initial appeal letter??
    thanks xxx

If it is the one in the NEWBIES thread last edited a week ago, then yes it is the correct one.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide