eBay !!!!!!

edited 27 June 2015 at 11:15AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
5 replies 1.1K views
[Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
0 Posts
Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
MoneySaving Newbie
I requested a higher selling allowance because currently I can only sell 10 items per month, so I make my request, they send me a letter with a code to confirm my address and get a higher selling allowance, except I am told to expect an e-mail within 10 minutes, which read that I have been declined and I should try again next month, despite receiving a letter in the post confirming I had been approved.

So I contact ebay via live chat and then get grilled on what I will be selling, I was asked these questions below:

1. Do you have any other accounts for selling in other sites, aside from eBay?
2. Do have any plans in using your account in selling more items in the future or just using your account for selling personal items?
3. What is your estimated time of delivery once the item has been sold?
4. Can I have an estimated price for the items you are trying to sell?

So after answering all but No. 4 I asked the agent how I can know how much an item will sell for, and considering I have a large range of my own personal items to sell, the price will be varied, so we settle on the price of a CD, which I said I hoped would sell for £2.99, I explained to the agent I only have a personal account and I will not be operating as a business or opening a shop, so eventually they approve me to sell 75 items a month, whilst I probably won't ever reach that monthly figure it is a drop from the promised 100 items.

It really gave the impression that they are trying to push smaller sellers out, having to jump through hoops to increase my limit and answering utterly pointless questions, very weird.

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why your restricted to 10 items, most users get 20 free listings a month anyway.
    After that there is a listing fee.

What are you selling? Designer brand stuff or electrical items?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    No, I am just selling random bits and bobs.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why your restricted to 10 items, most users get 20 free listings a month anyway.
    After that there is a listing fee.

What are you selling? Designer brand stuff or electrical items?

The restrictions for new or small sellers is nothing to do with the free listings. As an example next time you get a free listing offer it will say something like ' 100free listings' but then later on say or up to your available selling limits.

I recently started to reuse an account that had been dormant for 4 years and was at first restricted to 20 listings a month or £1000 whichever target was hit first.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • mrcol1000mrcol1000 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I started my new business account, I had to jump through hoops to get my limits raised. I was told it was to stop new sellers taking on more than they could handle. The last time I did it, I had to provide everything from who my suppliers where to my cousins, best friends shoe size.

The thing is that I struggled even with the higher limits but didn't want to contact them again. Then couple months ago out of the blue I got a message saying they had raised them to a limit I am unlikely to ever reach. So if you do not let your account get below standard and keep your scores high then they will probably raise them in due course anyway.
  • I had a similar mad increase after years of very small ones. went overnight from £20,000 to £1.2million allowance
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals