A harmless typo in a will - does it matter? (scotland)

Options
Hello
Not a very exciting question, I'm afraid, but I can't find a definitive answer by Googling, so hoping somebody here knows.

A will drawn up by a solicitor (scotland). There is a typo, which makes no practical difference to the testators wishes. Thus:

"I leave £1000 to my Cousin, Reg Smith" has been typed as:

"I leave £1000 to my Reg Smith"

Elsewhere in the will Reg Smith is referred to as "my Cousin, Reg Smith", it's only in this one part that the word "Cousin" is missing, but the intent is clear.

There are no other people named Reg Smith in the family or known to the testator.

Could this cause a problem for the executor?

(btw, there is a reason why I don't want to just phone the solicitor and ask)
Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harrass them, don't deprive them of their happiness.

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could this cause a problem for the executor?

(btw, there is a reason why I don't want to just phone the solicitor and ask)

Unlikely to be a problem.

The solicitor should have kept notes and these should show that the testator intended his cousin to have the money.
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My mum left my uncle a bit of money and he was listed as Mr X my bother in law didn't cause us any issues x
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I have to be honest I would want the typo to be corrected - if only for peace of mind
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have to be honest I would want the typo to be corrected - if only for peace of mind

I read the first post as the executor is already dealing with the estate.

If that's not the case, I would also want it corrected - for free - by the solicitor.
  • thistledome
    thistledome Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I read the first post as the executor is already dealing with the estate.

If that's not the case, I would also want it corrected - for free - by the solicitor.

No, not being dealt with yet (hopefully not for a long time :D ).

Just didn't notice it at the time.
    Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harrass them, don't deprive them of their happiness.
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd just get it corrected next time you update the will, no point in doing all the signing and witnessing again for something so minor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure