Help! Hose me down, my spending's on fire!!

Options
So 5 months in to my DFW i just seem to have taken my eye off the ball a bit this month!!

Just had a feeling a was getting a bit fast and loose with day to day spending. When i finally got around to reconciling YNAB after a couple of weeks my suspicions were confirmed. Have probably let a couple of hundred quid slip away through random spending and not keeping accounts up to date!!

Consequently have had to move money out of some of my Rainy day funds and have a tiny amount to get through to the end of the month. I'm fed up as this was just what i was like before i started sorting this out. Its not even as if there was anything that cropped up out of the ordinary. It feels like a big step backwards. Grrrrrrr.

The only bright side is nothing on credit cards and OD won't be used.
£1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
!

Comments

• rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Morning!

oh deary me, well glad you didnt use credit, but definitely worth tracking as you go rather than spending then checking!

Is it worth using the 'envelope' system. so you have it all in cash, do then you can visibly see what you have left so you dont go over?
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
  • asparagus1968
    asparagus1968 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I still do this from time to time, this month I've gone berserk, and I've holiday spending money to find (because I've spent what I'd saved on a new laptop)
    I'm doing just what ROCKM87 suggested-back to using cash this month as I can't be trusted!

you are still few steps furthur on than you would have been before you had your LBM :)
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• andyfromotley
    andyfromotley Posts: 2,038 Forumite
    Options
    Hi rock,

i use YNAB which is an electronic envelope system really. I rarely carry cash as i have found previously that i tend to be a bit more spend with cash and found it harder to track where it had gone. I haven't tried cash since my LBM so i may give it a go.
    !
  • lazer-zxr
    lazer-zxr Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It seems like a small setback Andy, but aren't you glad YNAB provided the means of escape and the opportunity to control your finances without going for credit.

To be honest, with my LBM and YNAB journey around the same time as yours, I've slipped this month, only around £50, but it's strange that this fourth month is coinciding with budget slippage.

It's as if the novelty of budgeting and getting on track has worn off, and it's not as exciting anymore .... I guess it's time to get our heads down, and continue on the path to recovery we've set ourselves. It seems to be the most challenging period as a DFW so far, even more so than the initial change to lifestyle.

I find the updating of my MSE signature is a great tool to keep my head in the game, and the target in my sights.

Good luck, get back on it, and up your YNAB reconciliation frequency.
  • chasingfreedom
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up, you are doing great so far and you're only human!! Maybe you needed to let off a bit of steam this month to give you incentive to keep going. There's nothing that can't be salvaged xx
  • denialanderror
    Options
    It's not the end of the world! If on average things are getting better over time, you've nothing to worry about!
  • enjoyyourshoes
    enjoyyourshoes Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having a crystal clear goal of why you are doing this 'not spending' purgatory may help?
    Do daily bank reconciliation diligently (include all SO/DD's and CC spending) also make sure you get receipt for everything you spend and if spending on internet make note down of what you have spent.
    I stick all my receipts and notes on spike so to remind me to reconcile them ! Visual reminder
    Just think positive about no CC usage and no OD.
    Just think of the accrued interest you have earned and money saved from no OD and no CC fees1
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • andyfromotley
    andyfromotley Posts: 2,038 Forumite
    Options
    I stick all my receipts and notes on spike so to remind me to reconcile them ! Visual reminder

Ha, i have been on the lookout for one of these locally for a few weeks now as my wallet is full of receipts most of the time!! I get receipts for everything!!
    !
  • rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    a good visual would be to get a large print photo of your 'dream' or saving goal, say a big mortgage free house, and then for every receipt stick it over the top!

for everything you buy, you move once step away from your dream.

....oooo is that deep for a Friday?? :-)
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ha, i have been on the lookout for one of these locally for a few weeks now as my wallet is full of receipts most of the time!! I get receipts for everything!!

You can order bill spikes from Nisbets catalogue for a couple of £s.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport