Is it wrong to accept a drink given in error?

2»

Comments

• stephen77
    stephen77 Forumite Posts: 10,342
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Who did something wrong is missing the point, people make mistakes and humans are allowed to err. They hadn't paid for it so they should do the right thing and tell the truth.

There is a big difference between lying and not coming forward.

I would feel a little bit of knob if I was in McDonalds and got given two drinks by mistake and went back to the 18 year old cashier and let him know about his mistake. They would be thinking I am pedantic old man.
    Is this really a dilemma? What about if it's something more expensive? Where is the line? It's either wrong to keep something you haven't ordered and paid for or it's right the value or consequences of the product when given back should not really come into it.

I will draw my line were I see fit. Its not a black and white decision.

As above with food like this. There is not benefit to returning to anyone. They will probably let you keep it anyway.

There are often threads on here about items being miss-sold cheaply as computer errors.
    How many people will go and ring head office to let them know there glitch?

If you were in a sit down restaurant and ordered one small portion of chips with your main meal and they brought out you a large portion on your plate. Would you let them know? as what are they going to do?
    They are not going to remove 1/2 your chips off the plate while your eating your meal.
  • NoGoodNamesLeft
    NoGoodNamesLeft Forumite Posts: 161 Forumite
    I've worked in a fast food restaurant and any returned drinks (or food) are immediately thrown away. In that situation I would drink it rather than see it wasted. If it was something like an unopened bottle I would be more likely to return it.
  • midnight_express
    midnight_express Forumite Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    Don't be surprised when your kid gets done for shoplifting.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Forumite Posts: 3,046
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My yardstick is that if it is a situation I would do something about when it works against me then I will do same when it works for me.

So in this scenario, I would speak to a member of staff if I had not received all my order so I will speak to a member of staff when I receive something extra. What becomes of the drink after I return it is of no interest to me, it was never my drink in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 340K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 448.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 231.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 602.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.6K Life & Family
  • 245K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure