car with lumbar support

Options

Comments

• Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wendym wrote: »
    My seat is upright - I have it so that the back is vertical and the seat horizontal - a bit like an upholstered dining chair, if that makes sense.

And I agree that Lexus do great seats too (my daughter has one), but they're expensive cars. About as expensive as the Volvo XC90.

difficult to explain what I mean but I have to be sat upright as if I were in a chair. if it is an estate car then my legs would not be at the right angle I'm afraid.
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • Ellie2758
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would also recommend Volvo seats, but failing that, you could consider this. ;)

I'm afraid that wouldnt help because the support on that is not actually in the lumbar region. If you look at the example on the office chair - the gap where there is absolutely nothing is where support is needed!

J-J Rousseau
  • brodev
    brodev Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    Have you considered buying a McKenzie Lumbar Roll. They are made for your problem and they are portable
    Something Really Interesting
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    Ellie2758 wrote: »
    difficult to explain what I mean but I have to be sat upright as if I were in a chair. if it is an estate car then my legs would not be at the right angle I'm afraid.

Hi Ellie - I'm clearly not explaining this very well, but I too have to sit upright as if in a chair, and that's exactly how I sit in my Volvo. It's adjusted to be completely different from normal car seats. I think the crucial thing is that the seat doesn't slope down from front to back, but is horizontal, and I have lumbar support in the back of the seat. The back of the car being estate-shaped doesn't affect the front seats at all.
  • speedbird
    speedbird Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I had the same problem when looking to replace my Scenic earlier this year. I needed something a little smaller as kids have their own cars now. I got a Mercedes A class classic (basic model). The driving position is high like the scenic, there is adjustable driver and passenger lumbar support and adjustable steering wheel position. Having suffered back problems for many years, I can do a long journey in this car without suffering any pain during and after the journey!
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Ellie2758 wrote: »
    I'm afraid that wouldnt help because the support on that is not actually in the lumbar region. If you look at the example on the office chair - the gap where there is absolutely nothing is where support is needed!

:think: It's not an office chair you'd be sitting on! The support is completely height adjustable, so you can position it to suit. I've suffered with back problems for over 10 years, and have tried both this and the McKenzie Lumbar Roll mentioned by brodev. The MLR is (IMO) not especially good; extremely difficult to position consistently and comfortably.

The Back Shape is, as the name suggests, correctly designed for the shape of your back - it's not just a foam cylinder like the MLR. Did you see the picture with it positioned on a car seat? The way it works is to ensure correct back posture is maintained - you don't need something jammed in your lumbar region to achieve this. It is without doubt the most comfortable and efficacious back support I've found.

In any case, they offer a full refund if you're not satisfied, no matter how long you've had it. You could try it for a month or two, decide it's not for you and send it back for a full refund.

But I don't suppose you will. :rolleyes:
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Ellie2758
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brodev wrote: »
    Have you considered buying a McKenzie Lumbar Roll. They are made for your problem and they are portable

Yes, I do have one and sometimes I have to use it with the lumbar support on my Scenic. It is helpful in pubs and restaurants but not on long car journeys.

J-J Rousseau
  • Ellie2758
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wendym wrote: »
    Hi Ellie - I'm clearly not explaining this very well, but I too have to sit upright as if in a chair, and that's exactly how I sit in my Volvo. It's adjusted to be completely different from normal car seats. I think the crucial thing is that the seat doesn't slope down from front to back, but is horizontal, and I have lumbar support in the back of the seat. The back of the car being estate-shaped doesn't affect the front seats at all.

So do you mean that your legs arent stretched out in front of you but are in a vertical position at right angles to the floor, as if you were in a car?

J-J Rousseau
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    As well as my trusty Volvo, I don't go anywhere without my lumbar support cushion, and I've realised that an estate isn't as silly as I thought, cos when I went to stay with my daughter last week I put my Ikea plastic garden chair in the back of the car.
    Why doesn't everyone aged 30 have back trouble produced by their sofas and chairs?
  • Ellie2758
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    speedbird wrote: »
    I had the same problem when looking to replace my Scenic earlier this year. I needed something a little smaller as kids have their own cars now. I got a Mercedes A class classic (basic model). The driving position is high like the scenic, there is adjustable driver and passenger lumbar support and adjustable steering wheel position. Having suffered back problems for many years, I can do a long journey in this car without suffering any pain during and after the journey!

Oddly enough I looked at this (despite it's size!) as my neighbour had one and it looked the same design seat-position wise as my Scenic. Then I read the reviews on HonestJohn.co.uk :eek:

J-J Rousseau
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills