Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Need to raffle off spare alcohol!

Options
Myself and my partner volunteer for a charity close to our hearts and we have some spare alcohol left over from a fundraising event. Just wondering if there's a good way of getting rid of it without losing money on it! Obviously we can't sell it as we don't have an alcohol licence. We've put some of it on a raffle in support of the charity but it's not going fast enough. Any clever ideas would be very much welcome!

Cheers very much

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ryan43 wrote: »
    Myself and my partner volunteer for a charity close to our hearts and we have some spare alcohol left over from a fundraising event. Just wondering if there's a good way of getting rid of it without losing money on it! Obviously we can't sell it as we don't have an alcohol licence. We've put some of it on a raffle in support of the charity but it's not going fast enough. Any clever ideas would be very much welcome!

Cheers very much
    You don't need a licence to offload a few bottles of plonk. Just go ahead and sell it.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Ryan43
    Ryan43 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi HappyMJ, thanks for the reply!

You might be right, but it is (as far as I know) illegal to publicise that you have alcohol for sale? Unless you have a licence, which of course I don't. A tricky one!
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 June 2015 at 10:00PM
    Options
    Why does it need to go fast? Alcohol always makes a raffle popular, and livens up a tombola stand, too. It's not going to go off - just get one of the charity oragnisers to look after the cache until the next raffle and add two or three bottles to that one, then the next one, and so on until it's all gone.. Steady little earner, if you don't 'flood the market' by putting all the bottles out at the same time on the same event.

The other option, if you really have a lot, is some sort of event with either the drink as the star 'learn to make cocktails', or a 'come to our wine tasting' or a 'get sozzled with Susie, right tipsy with Ryan' evening. If it's not as much as that, but it's enough to liven up an event, such as a quiz evening or talent show, add a coupe of quid onto the price of tickets and offer a 'free' glass of plonk on arrival as part of the evening's events.

Getting rid of booze is usually the easy part of any fundraising, in my experience! Good luck with it, anyway.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • Ryan43
    Ryan43 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks Mandragora for the tips!

Cheers
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We frequently raise a lot of cash for charity by rolling a coin to get the nearest to the bottle. Have a timer going for say 5 mins or so.
    http://www.jonlewislive.com/HaveAQuizDIY_files/Closest%20to%20the%20bottle.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure