26 replies 2.6K views
13»

Replies

• noelphobicnoelphobic Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    Do you clip her claws? If so, do a claw-clipping a couple of days before you need to box her. ;)

She won't let me bathe her eyes so there is no chance of her letting me trim her claws.

She does use her scratching post quite a lot and 'bite her nails'.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • owletowlet Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    noelphobic wrote: »
    How did you get to the vet's? I'll be driving so don't think that would work!

I just popped him in the foot well. He was so scared that he didn't try to wander & our vet was only a couple of minutes away so that was a big plus!
    SPC 8 (2015) #485 TOTAL: £334.65
    SPC 9 (2016) #485 TOTAL £84
    SPC 10 (2017) # 485 TOTAL: £464.80
    SPC 11 (2018) #485
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I managed to get her in the carrier, although plan A didn't work, possibly due to my impatience.

Plan B did work. I put the carrier in the kitchen worktop and pushed her in. She wasn't happy but I got her in on the first attempt.

She meowed pretty much constantly. When she wasn't meowing I was almost as worried. Was nearly there when I realised I'd left all my bank cards at home!

Luckily it didn't take too long. The vet has a cat only clinic on a Wednesday, providing they have enough bookings, apart from emergencies. They also have a cat only waiting room, although I could hear a dog barking.

We didn't wait very long. Once in the surgery, predictably, she didn't want to come out of the carrier! When we did get her out, she only ran away once, although it was obvious that she was terrified.

Surprisingly, she didn't flinch at the injection. The vet àpplied the Advocate spot on and weighed her. She is 3.28kg, which surprised me, as she is tiny.

I started her on Zylkene yesterday, in the hope that it might help when we go back in a fortnight.
  • no1catmanno1catman Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, now baring problems, you've got 12 month before the next visit.

My previous cat hated going in the carrier - whether for a cattery, or the vet. No point in making an appointment, I may admit defeat in a) trying to catch her, and b) trying to get her into the carrier.
    Then the best position was to lower her in.
    Now, with my current cat - it's easy the whole process from 5 - 15 minutes (rather than nearer an hour).
    Then there's the meow-wow while travelling. Doesn't mind injections - hates temperature being taken!

And yes, newspaper on the bottom of the carrier always wise.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    no1catman wrote: »
    So, now baring problems, you've got 12 month before the next visit.

My previous cat hated going in the carrier - whether for a cattery, or the vet. No point in making an appointment, I may admit defeat in a) trying to catch her, and b) trying to get her into the carrier.
    Then the best position was to lower her in.
    Now, with my current cat - it's easy the whole process from 5 - 15 minutes (rather than nearer an hour).
    Then there's the meow-wow while travelling. Doesn't mind injections - hates temperature being taken!

And yes, newspaper on the bottom of the carrier always wise.

Only 3 weeks to the next appointment, sadly. Although she is estimated to be between 2 and 3 years old, I've only had her for 6 months so haven't been able to establish whether she has ever had any jabs and so have started from scratch - no pun intended.

Am struggling to find out whether she has been spayed and vet was unable to tell. My choices seem to be to keep my fingers crossed and hope that she has been (and hope she keeps her legs crossed if she hasn't been :eek:), book her in for an ultrasound scan, or book her in to be spayed (cheaper than an ultrasound, apparently). They then open her up, find she's already been done and close her up again OR find she hasn't been done and perform the op.

Not enamoured with any of these options so making further efforts to get her back story in the hope that i can get reliable confirmation that she has been spayed.
  • DD265DD265 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor moggy, I do hate taking them to the vets!

My parents have two, and the more nervous of the pair isn't too bad because he pretty much gets too scared to resist. However the other cat gets so afraid he wets himself in the car. When they have to go, we take the upended-carrier-and-shove-cat-in approach.

They are both around 9 now, and we've had them since kittens, so we stopped taking them for their jabs a few years ago. As I understand it after a certain point immunity is built up for life? If they need to go in, they'll go in - for example if they get a fighters bite which abscesses (a bite on the head, as opposed to the bum from running away) or when one of them had eaten something toxic.

We asked the vets what it would cost for a call out, and it was £100 before the vet had even gotten out of the car. :eek:

At some point we had to take the two previous cats to the vets together. We only had one carrier, so the ferocious one went in that, and the cuddly one went loose in the car with me and my sister, Mom drove.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News