250 pounds to replace UPVC Door lock?

Is this fair?
He took the lock out and said it will cost me 250 quid, I am in london.

Comments

• Dannytyler
    Dannytyler Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    more detail..... type of lock and does this include the mechanism?
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds like someone called out a locksmith, they opened the door then replaced the lock.

Callout + Lock = Large Fee..

Keys + DIY Lock + Screwdriver + YouTube = £7 to £20
  • bretts
    bretts Posts: 470 Forumite
    He just took out the bit that connects the door, so a strip with a lock. I checked online and the lock is about 50 quid, It was a door jammed, hes not replacing the cylinder only, its the lock inside, but I dont know if he needed to actually break the cylinder and replace the complete lock. I saw a lot of you tube videos but since the door was locked and I could not open it I did not have an option but to call someone to do it for me, I am just thinking I could have go a new door in this much money by putting a little extra money to 250 quids.
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Regardless of what a new door could be bought for, you were still in the position of needing to get a Locksmith out to get into a locked door.

Did you not check what the call out rate was in advance? or then ask what the replacement locks would cost up front..

I recently had to get a car tyre replaced by a callout guy, but I made damn sure that I knew upfront exactly what the callout fee was going to be and what the tyre would cost on top with which to gauge the different prices.

bretts wrote: »
    He just took out the bit that connects the door, so a strip with a lock. I checked online and the lock is about 50 quid, It was a door jammed, hes not replacing the cylinder only, its the lock inside, but I dont know if he needed to actually break the cylinder and replace the complete lock. I saw a lot of you tube videos but since the door was locked and I could not open it I did not have an option but to call someone to do it for me, I am just thinking I could have go a new door in this much money by putting a little extra money to 250 quids.
  • bretts
    bretts Posts: 470 Forumite
    He said he will charge me 75 pounds for callout if anything needed changing, when he quoted me 250 I asked him what is the breakdown, he just said 75 for callout rest for parts. I then checked online and saw the upvc door locks for about 50 to 60 pounds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure