Sky doesn't make sense

A bloke at the shopping centre stopped me to ask if I was interested in Sky TV. I watch a few shows they have, so I decided to hear what he had to say.

This is where it gets weird. Apparently you pay them a subscription but the programmes still have adverts in them! I'd be livid if half way through DVD some adverts came on, or my Netflix steam was interrupted with a pop-up. It sounds like you have to "pay" twice, one subscription and then again by watching adverts. Do they think my time and attention are free?!

So then I listed the shows I like and asked how much it would cost. Turns out it's really, really expensive because you can't just get the shows you want out access to the whole catalogue with one payment, oh no. You have to get individual channels and bundles separately. It's like a really expensive internet connection and then each bundle is a really expensive streaming site with a tiny catalogue. And you have to record it all yourself, it's not even on-demand.

Who on earth pays for this rubbish?

Comments

• r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Totally agree, I just wish I could get my wife to see it.

I watch everything online.
    It annoys my wife when she watches her latest series on Sky and I say I've seen it and tell her who dunnit :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: .
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,552
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    We have Sky and it is expensive and we keep it for the live sport however when we want to watch a series then using catch up provides the programme without the adverts and if you record it then you can skip through the adverts so at least that aspect does not have to be a pain. It's instructive how a 60 minute programme is 41 mins when you download it from sky rather than watching it live.
  • I think they must survive on live sport. Isn't half of it on BT now though? Seems incredibly expensive.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,552
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Not the half we want!
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,758
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Switch to Now TV, best of the entertainment channels for £6.99 and movies for £9.99.

Sport is still expensive though.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The have to pay for the players wages some how.
    Most of the Sky channels can be found on freesat
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • I only watch sumo which is free on NHK World and F1 which is free on the BBC. Even that I could live without because you can steam F1 online for free anyway.

I really don't understand why people pay so much due Sky, especially when they make you pay twice with adverts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure