Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

Reusable Nappies: Have you used them? - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Reusable Nappies: Have you used them?

edited 19 September 2017 at 10:53AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
32 replies 5.3K views

Replies

• KynthiaKynthia Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used cloth nappies for a few months. I couldn't get on with it long-term but I loved the patterns. Never used Napisan either. People think it involves lots of soaking and boiling like in the old days but I just kept them in a mesh bag in a lidded nappy bin and then chucked the whole mesh bag into the wash when full.

Violettasomerset some brands of clothing are cut for cloth so they should have room for the nappy. I used to get vests from H&M for this reason.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to use them with one of my daughter's as she was allergic to disposables. When I added up the cost of the nappies, the cost of washing and drying them and the inconvenience of having to carry round wet soggy nappies when we were out, I doubt if I saved a penny.
  • I am umming and aahing about whether to get reusable ones, the main sticking point for me is the upfront cost, which is money I dont really have to hand. Im due my first in November so we are going with disposables initially then maybe looking to do a combination of both - especially for if I am out with the baby when I can fall back on disposables. The idea of carrying a soaked pooey nappy around :eek:. But equally it is coming up to winter and we dont have a tumble dryer...

I will give it a go though, don't want to add too much to the rubbish pile
  • LandyAndyLandyAndy Forumite
    26.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used cloth nappies. Only as the wearer though.:D
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    whizzybee wrote: »
    I am umming and aahing about whether to get reusable ones, the main sticking point for me is the upfront cost, which is money I dont really have to hand......

.....I will give it a go though, don't want to add too much to the rubbish pile

Dont skimp on quality. They will have to last you till the child is toilet trained.

As for the rubbish pile your hoping to minimise...have you thought of the depletion of the drain on energy resources needed to wash and dry them. You gain on one but lose on the other.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • lobbyluddlobbyludd Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I used disposables for my first and mostly cloth for my second.
    The smell was definitely worse with disposables, especially hanging around until rubbish collection: they got very ripe (every 2 weeks).

I worked it out at the time and did save a little money with cloth nappies (bamboo, shaped so not old style terry nappies), although I always had limited supplies of disposables in for when they were ill with D&V or other occasions.

Cloth was definitely better for second child's skin - which was very prone to eczema flaring, but in the end you have to use whatever keeps you sane - for me, the balance was cloth for second because disposables (and baby wipes) caused them horrible pain and consequently no sleep for anyone.

whichever you go with, it doesn't last for ever and it's fab when nappies end :)
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
  • I am expecting my second ion April and have pretty much decided to go with re usables.

What I would like to know from you guys is which ones you used?? There are now so many out there I'm a bit overwhelmed!

Ta x

Still in debt but happy :cool:
    DFW nerd no 844

:D
  • I used with both of mine. I bought good quality ones and the purchase was made after completing a nappy lady questionnaire. With this the nappy lady considers not only your budget but washing and drying facilities as well as child care options.

I loved mine and would use again if I had more. No hassle so long as you are organized.

If you look at the nappy lady website you might find your council offers a discount or cash back scheme.
  • KynthiaKynthia Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    lauradora wrote: »
    I am expecting my second ion April and have pretty much decided to go with re usables.

What I would like to know from you guys is which ones you used?? There are now so many out there I'm a bit overwhelmed!

Ta x

The Nappy Lady can help, and while you don't have to buy any from her after it is nice to if you can as she gives her time. There are also Facebook groups you can join with thousands of users where you can share knowledge and buy/sell nappies. If i were you I would build a collection slowly rather than buy a bulk supply of one type brand new in case you don't get on with them. Some councils offer a voucher to pay a reduced price for a variety pack of cloth nappies so it's worth looking on their website.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • building_with_legobuilding_with_lego Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had some prefolds like Bambino Mio in two sizes but ended up using the small ones right through for both children, as the large ones were simply too big (they are now floor cloths, still in service after 10 years!) We had some lovely wraps which fastened at the back, suiting our wriggly eldest and I've spent a frustrating few minutes trying to recall the brand. Success!

We did use Naty disposables overnight and for the first few days, while travelling or if out all day, simply for convenience, but our youngest had sensitive skin and there was a real difference once he was big enough to go into the washable naps- his red skin really cleared up.

We've just changed to fortnightly refuse collections here, prompting many families to reconsidering their waste situation. If I were to start my family again I would absolutely repeat what we did, and our waste load would still be incredibly light compared to full-time disposable nappies. (I didn't dare calculate the cost savings!)
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin: