Is it wrong to take a free lunch when I don't need it?

edited 16 June 2015 at 5:26PM in Food shopping & groceries
41 replies 19.4K views

Replies

• geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Nada666 wrote: »
    Since when is a packed lunch cheaper than a bought lunch?

I didn't say it was, I said if he had a packed lunch he would not have needed a free lunch. Do you have trouble understanding what you read?
    How many people putting cans in FareShare baskets think most of the recipients still receive one hundred percent of their child benefits and child credits and one hundred percent of their council tax and housing allowances and have only been docked about £20 a week of their hundreds of pounds a week benefits?

Pardon?
  • CloudaneCloudane Forumite
    518 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    If your donations are going to a good cause and there's not too much demand from people who really need it (probably only the seller could tell you that) then it's obviously having a benefit as effectively you're helping with fundraising based off free supermarket food, so carry on so long as you donate.

If it's going to a cause you disagree with then I'd say don't even take it for free as it's still creating demand.

Probably a case of researching them. There's one negative story about them here, but that's not to say it's not cynicism and/or sour grapes. If it's not clearly funding something terrible then it's much more of a personal decision.
  • ziggycjziggycj Forumite
    289 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They've gone to a university. Not exactly aiming the free food at the needy (although I appreciate some university student may struggle financially). It seems more like a promo event to raise awareness of themselves than an attempt to actually help those in need.

I would say take it. If it was in a religious building, shelter or charity I would say it's wrong to take it even if you are giving a donation as they are specifically aiming their food at people that would otherwise have nothing. The Hare Krishna people could give out food from their temple, or drive around places they know homeless people are likely to be. But no, they choose a university where everyone has grants or loans and some have the Bank of Mum and Dad for bonus funds.
  • rwgrayrwgray Forumite
    549 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    He is there to share with you, not because he thinks you are starving. Enjoy.

Rich.x
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

How many people putting cans in FareShare baskets think most of the recipients still receive one hundred percent of their child benefits and child credits and one hundred percent of their council tax and housing allowances and have only been docked about £20 a week of their hundreds of pounds a week benefits?

What planet are you on?

There have been far too many deaths from starvation as a result of benefit sanctions: here is just one of the many links that give details of this problem:
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/02/grieving-relative-confronts-dwp-minister-esther-mcvey-after-benefit-sanctions
  • Nada666Nada666 Forumite
    5K Posts
    What planet are you on?

There have been far too many deaths from starvation as a result of benefit sanctions: here is just one of the many links that give details of this problem:
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/02/grieving-relative-confronts-dwp-minister-esther-mcvey-after-benefit-sanctions
    What planet are you on? That link contains no detail of the problem you claim. Can't be much of a problem if you can't find an example.
  • The person serving the food would be the one to say who's allowed to eat and who isn't,not your friends.
    Is it wrong to take a free lunch when i don't need it?
    As long as you carry on making a donation i can see nothing wrong.Why would you have a meal when you didn't need it?If you just eat for the sake of it then i suggest you cut back or you'll soon be obese and possibly die of heart failure,which is what happens to a lot of fat people with little or no willpower.
  • Yes it is wrong; the point is you dont need it and someone else does. Buying it by making a donation doesnt make it OK
  • The governments own published statistics actually show that the amount of unclaimed benefits left in the public purse are far greater than the amount that is fraudulently claimed by so called 'scroungers' because hundreds of thousands of people simply dont claim benefits they are entitled to. Also the biggest slice of the welfare benefits pay-out is pensions paid to people who have paid tax and NI all their working lives. Despite what we are 'fed' it is no fun living on benefits and most people dont choose it.
  • faerielightfaerielight Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    "How many people putting cans in FareShare baskets think most of the recipients still receive one hundred percent of their child benefits and child credits and one hundred percent of their council tax and housing allowances and have only been docked about £20 a week of their hundreds of pounds a week benefits? "

, speaking as a disabled person on disability benefits, I am certainly not living the lap of luxury.. I get 100% of my benefits and I struggle to make ends meet! Having illnesses and disabilities costs me far more money that before I got sick. What with carers and cars and special diets. I have eaten food from the Krishnas in the past when I was desperate.. I used to have a Krishna friend who invited me and they all made me feel welcome even though I wasn't homeless.
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals