Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Germany 'could develop up to 82GW' of offshore wind
    Research from the Fraunhofer IWES research institute has found that up to 82GW of offshore wind could be realised in the German North and Baltic Seas.

For some reason I'm reminded of this Monty Python link ...

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not just the UK with massive potential from offshore wind, the Germans are looking to generate a significant amount too.

Interestingly, the amount of generation the article suggests is only a cf (capacity factor) of 41%, whilst the current UK fleet is showing 42% over the last 12 rolling month period, and cf's are rising as newer, larger WT's roll out. Hence why I tend to use 50% when quickly working out the rough impact of a new windfarm in the news, or approved capacities in the CfD allocation rounds, eg the recent round 4 contracts for 6.99GW would be roughly equal to a constant 3.5GW.

Just a quick reminder of a very old article, but the estimate of UK potential for offshore wind in 2012, was between 1,000GW and 9,000GW's ...... but let's not brag!

Germany 'could develop up to 82GW' of offshore wind

Research from the Fraunhofer IWES research institute has found that up to 82GW of offshore wind could be realised in the German North and Baltic Seas.

This is significantly more than the 70GW of offshore wind energy planned by the German federal government by 2045.

The new study has calculated in various scenarios, concluding that the offshore wind power potential can be increased by using additional areas, for example, with new offshore wind power technologies.

These could be deployed in such a way that other users and important concerns such as nature conservation are not adversely affected.

With a total potential of 81.6GW of installed capacity, yields of up to 292.1TWh can be achieved with around 3.580 full-load hours of the wind farms in the German EEZ, according to the results of the investigations.

I suspect our wind is 'better' than theirs too in that it is more geographical spread so there is less likelihood of the whole fleet being becalmed.  Not sure if our winter weather patterns are also more mobile so we are less likely to under the prolonged influence of a blocking high.
    I think....
  • 70sbudgie
    70sbudgie Posts: 749 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 August 2022 at 7:51PM
    Options
    With 25.5GW of installed wind capacity and a cf of 42%, that gives us a typical contribution of 10GW from wind. 

UK solar has a total capacity of 14GW. I think it has a capacity factor of about 10%? 

I was going to say we still have a long way to go until renewables can reliably meet our circa 35GW demand. But I wonder how much (battery) storage can improve the capacity factors? I guess it comes down to how much "capping" there is on  industrial scale production.
    4.3kW PV, 3.6kW inverter. Octopus Tracker. Zoe. Ripple x 2. Cheshire
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For fun, at the other end of the scale to Hornsea Two, we have one wind turbine, out of 114 being installed - well, all great journeys start with a single step.

Throwing the switch on Scotland’s largest offshore windfarm

The £3bn Seagreen project, a joint venture between SSE Renewables and France’s TotalEnergies, is located 27km (17 miles) off the Angus coast. The first turbine of 114 was connected to the electricity network in the early hours of Monday morning.

The project promises to generate 1.1 gigawatts of electricity – enough to power about 1m homes – in its first phase. That’s equivalent to about 60% of Scotland’s current offshore wind output.

Its debut provides a rare bright spot for Britain’s energy supply as gas shortages in Europe have threatened to spill over into blackouts in the UK this winter and even higher bills for consumers.

However, the windfarm will not be fully operational until some point in the first half of next year.
    “It’s unfortunate it’s not a short-term fix, but the long-term fix really is to deploy as much low carbon generation as we can,” Wilson said.

Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm always a sucker for a good news battery story, and I think those that specifically state they are not suitable for automotive use, could help BEV costs by taking the strain off demand for certain minerals, such as lithium.

Of course, there are no shortage of breakthrough battery headlines, so all of them must be taken with a pinch of salt (or even include one, such as this technology). But given that MIT and Donald Sadoway are involved, and the long list of Universities carrying out the research (see para 1), I think this is worth a mention.

Also, I've always thought Donald Sadoway made an important point when he once stated - "If you want to make something dirt cheap, make it out of dirt–preferably dirt that is locally sourced.” - and the projections for these batts are very cheap (but don't forget those pinches of salt for now).

Probably also worth mentioning that cycle efficiency isn't given, so this technology may be a case of lower cost, but lower efficiency, but horses for courses as the World moves to RE and multi-layered storage solutions.

Aluminum-Sulfur Battery Promises Low Cost Energy Storage

Donald Sadoway has been a member of the faculty at MIT since 1978, where he has been teaching a course in solid-state chemistry for the past 16 years. In addition to his teaching duties, he has also been directly involved in research into how to make batteries that cost less than lithium-ion batteries. Recently, MIT announced that Sadoway and his research partners have created an aluminum sulfur battery that may do just that. The research was carried out by scientists at Peking University, Yunnan University, and the Wuhan University of Technology in China; the University of Louisville in Kentucky; the University of Waterloo in Canada; Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee; and MIT.

The new battery architecture uses aluminum and sulfur as its two electrode materials, with a molten salt electrolyte in between. As the price of lithium skyrockets due to increasing demand, the world needs inexpensive alternatives. Aluminum and sulfur are plentiful and cheap. Sadoway says aluminum-sulfur battery cells will cost about $9 per kWh, which is far less than the lithium-ion battery cells currently available. The new cells are not suitable for use in electric vehicles, but could lower the cost of small-scale storage batteries for homes and small business customers, which could make more lithium-based cells available for the transportation sector. The research has been published recently in the journal Nature.

Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    $9 per kWh!!!  That'll take some beating Mart, perhaps you are right in waiting a bit longer before making a move on Storage!

And just like buses!
    Interesting that Panasonic appear to be taking an existing technology forward and at the opposite scale to the tiny batteries used in Hearing aids. If I'm reading it correctly that is.
    No idea what the timescale is or what cycle limitations might apply but with a higher density than Lithium Ion and lower fire risk it appears to have the right credentials so far.
    Mind you, if they come across Sadoways possible costs above the incentive to continue may not have quite the attraction.

Panasonic begins developing zinc-air flow batteries for renewables storage

Panasonic is expanding the development of a zinc-air battery tech it currently uses for hearing enhancement equipment. It said the new devices, which will be designed for renewables storage, will be safer than their lithium-ion counterparts, with high energy densities.

East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    As a one-time electrochemist, I always get twitchy when someone mentions the need for a "molten salt electrolyte".
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Space power stations from European Space Agency.
    Could we get energy from solar power in space? - CBBC Newsround
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure