Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,993 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 October 2021 at 4:43PM
    Hopefully as with EVs the market will deliver with a bumper round of supply in the CFD auction and innovative approaches like the North Africa renewable 'power station' and link, doesn't matter how much subsidies you throw at Nuclear, the more cheap renewable RE and storage that the market brings on stream the less margin there will be for other solutions. 

I really can't see why the announcement today wasn't all about looking at investment in developing long term storage solutions which is what we need to complement RE not inflexible nuclear and blue hydrogen plus CCS which relies on price volatile fossil fuels.  I can't see why a a country we wouldn't want to lead rather than investing in technologies of the past?
    I think....
  • Verdigris
    Verdigris Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm pretty sure Harold Wilson also used it. I also heard Super Mac say "you've never had it so good".

I'm getting old...
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Good news for battery storage and all of the technologies and areas that will need to expand battery deployment. The recycled minerals from 'old' batts is of as high a quality (or better) than newly mined material. That should mean that the demand for new material will not rise quite as fast as the demand for additional batteries, helping with supply issues and pressures. Eventually we may reach a point where the majority of material comes from recycling.

New Study Shows Recycled Lithium Batteries As Good As Newly Mined Lithium Batteries

The study, which is published in the academic journal Joule, noted that recycled materials are deemed inferior to commercial materials and that is a hindrance to an industry that needs to adopt recycled materials in new batteries. In the study, the team demonstrated how recycled NMC111 cathodes actually are superior in both rate and cycle performance and verified this with various industry-level tests.

Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    LOL. I thought this was quite interesting, then realised it sorta points out the obvious that different locations around the World will need different mixes of longer term energy storage, to go with their different mixes of RE generation. Then again, if it was so obvious, why didn't it occur to me sooner as I was reading?

So perhaps worth a quick read, just to help sort and file things in your brain, and realise that both RE and storage will need to evolve / develop and roll out in tandem, and reflect local issues. For example in the UK, we will have a generation system weighted towards wind energy, so storage would also need to be weighted towards wind variability, than for example solar variability.

Energy Storage Ecosystem Offers Lowest-Cost Path To 100% Renewable Power

As states reach higher toward 100% renewable operation, energy storage will be key to enabling a more variable power supply. But no single technology will be a silver bullet for all our energy storage needs.

Rather, a portfolio of storage solutions makes best economic sense for future energy systems, according to a recent National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) analysis titled “Optimal energy storage portfolio for high and ultrahigh carbon-free and renewable power systems,” published in Energy & Environmental Science.

Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic

I’ve no idea whether these claims are true but if they are, this is a good example of the sort of innovation that is going to reduce emissions without asking people to just stop doing things.  Imagine if you could keep ICE cars but cut emissions by 50% by just choosing a different route.  Of course, it might be a load of nonsense. 

• EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

China May Have Found a Cheap Energy Storage Method: Compressed Air

When there’s peak demand for electricity, and prices get higher, the unusual energy storage facility uses that air to propel turbines and generate power. According to CCTV, the facility can deliver up to 40 MWh of energy per day, enough to power 3,000 houses.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/china-may-have-found-a-cheap-energy-storage-method-compressed-air-172384.html
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    shinytop said:

I’ve no idea whether these claims are true but if they are, this is a good example of the sort of innovation that is going to reduce emissions without asking people to just stop doing things.  Imagine if you could keep ICE cars but cut emissions by 50% by just choosing a different route.  Of course, it might be a load of nonsense. 

The bbc used to be a bastion of impartiality and truth, but more recently its become little more than a tory party mouthpiece unfortunately.
    The article... I mean I can see how maybe maybe maybe it's possible, but it seems to be more than a little of a stretch.

As for keeping ice cars, once you have driven premium ice cars, then drive a run of the mill EV, you will soon decide you want to drive a premium EV, ice is all but dead, long lice the EV's
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • Verdigris
    Verdigris Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 24 October 2021 at 1:02PM

China May Have Found a Cheap Energy Storage Method: Compressed Air

Liquefied air storage has been under development for years in the UK. Highview Power are now building commercial scale plants.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback