Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On a lighter note, I heard yesterday (Fully Charged I think) that the UK will be decommissioning the first nuclear power station site. So the land at Dounreay will soon be returned for other uses. Just note it in your diary for 2333.

I wonder how the meeting went when the cost of the power was being worked out:
    A. So, how long will it generate?
    B. About 39yrs.
    A. Right, and then we sell the land, or start another business?
    B. Yes ..... sorta.
    A. Sorta?
    B. Well, roughly 339 years later.
    A. WWWWWWWWhat! We will have to incur land costs for 339yrs, for just 39yrs of profit?
    B. Profit?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Sorry for the nuclear nonsense, normal service will return shortly.
    However, I thought it was funny that I just spotted this news item highlighted on another forum:

Hinkley Point B 'may close two years early', EDF Energy says

A nuclear power station may close two years earlier than planned due to ageing issues, an energy firm has said.
    EDF Energy was due to begin decommissioning in Hinkley Point B in Somerset in 2023.
    Inspections have found cracks in the reactor core's graphite bricks and the boilers inside the reactors were coming to the end of their life.
    The company is reviewing the results and will make a decision at the end of the year.

Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    DiggerUK said:

OK, go with the Daily Telegraph instead..._
    Or the BBC!

• DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm surprised the BBC have covered this story, I'm sure they would have given instant coverage to any performance of her former comrades activities. 
    That raises the score to three of the legacy media who have reported. I contacted Mr. Attenborough's office for a comment and they promised to reply, I'll  get back here if he responds.

From the BBC article. "Much of the green movement was "steeped in an anti-nuclear mindset", she said, "when any rational, evidence-based approach shows that a strategy including nuclear energy is the only realistic solution to driving down emissions at the scale and speed required".

She denied she was making a U-turn, instead saying it was a "logical next step" in looking for solutions rather than "shouting ever more loudly about the problem"

For myself, the only issue is the costs associated with solar, wind and nuclear. It is just not possible to get any plausible costings that make an economic argument in favour of one over the others. 

As this is a money saving site however, the argument can only be for the low cost fossil fuels to be fully utilised to keep electricity prices low. But those sources I have to accept  are not popular, even though I personally have no problem with the CO2 produced.

But the case still remains, we need reliable electricity supplies. With that criteria I rule out any place for solar and wind. The worlds needs now and going forward are for both increasing and regular supply..._

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 September 2020 at 3:52PM
    Options
    DiggerUK said:
    I'm surprised the BBC have covered this story, I'm sure they would have given instant coverage to any performance of her former comrades activities. 
    That raises the score to three of the legacy media who have reported. I contacted Mr. Attenborough's office for a comment and they promised to reply, I'll  get back here if he responds.

From the BBC article. "Much of the green movement was "steeped in an anti-nuclear mindset", she said, "when any rational, evidence-based approach shows that a strategy including nuclear energy is the only realistic solution to driving down emissions at the scale and speed required".

She denied she was making a U-turn, instead saying it was a "logical next step" in looking for solutions rather than "shouting ever more loudly about the problem"

For myself, the only issue is the costs associated with solar, wind and nuclear. It is just not possible to get any plausible costings that make an economic argument in favour of one over the others. 

As this is a money saving site however, the argument can only be for the low cost fossil fuels to be fully utilised to keep electricity prices low. But those sources I have to accept  are not popular, even though I personally have no problem with the CO2 produced.

But the case still remains, we need reliable electricity supplies. With that criteria I rule out any place for solar and wind. The worlds needs now and going forward are for both increasing and regular supply..._

Hi
    I don't follow the logic involved in the negativity posed in that post ....
    If we're seeing leading edge global renewable supply contracts now being awarded at prices well below the marginal fuel costs of operating fossil fuel generation (eg <2p/kWh solar) & the lead time to commissioning supply is remarkably low, then the economic argument alone suggests that building both (say) solar & fossil fuel generation capacity with a view to primary renewable generation with secondary FF to fill the gaps & provide supply security effectively becomes a 'no-brainer' for anyone with little or no environmental/CO2 concerns ... ????? ....
    If it's not environmental, timing or economics that are in play and the generation/supply is cheaper for the consumer (money savers!!!), what's left for the long-term naysayers & social-doommongers to moan about other than to repeat outdated gripes that they picked up on a decade-or-so ago ... unfortunately time seems to move on & in so doing peels back multiple layers of misinformed previous argument that even previously highly verbose newspaper columnists seem to have gone very quiet on recently ... just think of all of those piles of recently formed salt ....  :'(
    HTH - Z .... :*

"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • DiggerUK
    Options
    Hi zeupater,  That went right over my head..._😩

edit....please don't clarify, any news over two weeks old is too much for me. Warmest seasonal greetings all the same..._
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    None of the rest of us are surprised you didn't understand.
    You said  'For myself, the only issue is the costs associated with solar, wind and nuclear. It is just not possible to get any plausible costings that make an economic argument in favour of one over the others.'
    That is patently wrong, but Z is too polite to correct you directly.

• DiggerUK
    Options
    You said  'For myself, the only issue is the costs associated with solar, wind and nuclear. It is just not possible to get any plausible costings that make an economic argument in favour of one over the others.'
    Your correct, I don't regard it as "the only issue". I should have made it clearer by referring to the costings as one of the main issues to be addressed.
    Your courtesy is recognised, thankyou..._
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    None of the rest of us are surprised you didn't understand.

Apologies if I bore you with some re-capping, but I thought some context on the cost and timing of these techs might be useful.
    I think everyone with any common sense realised in 2012 that nuclear was dead economically. We saw two major milestones, the release of the HPC CfD contract details, and the rapidly falling cost of wind and solar as economies of production kicked in, and also economies of scale for wind.
    At that point it was clear to anyone who was truly interested, that RE would not only become vastly cheaper than nuclear, but it would do it well within the timescale it would take to even build a single new nuclear powerstation in the UK.
    Now ~8yrs later, we see the obvious, with the delivery of RE costs not as low, but in fact even lower, than predicted in 2012, and the costs of HPC (in subsidy terms) rising ever higher, but already vastly higher than RE, and still around 8yrs before it will generate anything ........ other than enormous quantities of CO2(e) from the FF generation that it has not displaced today, but RE would have, had the investment gone that way instead.

Is there any real debate or issue surrounding the LCOE for RE and nuclear today, or projected over the next decade ..... of course not, that debate is long settled. In fact if we look to the 'Kings of capitalism' across the pond, we see nuclear new builds and life extensions being cancelled simply because they will not be competitive with falling RE generation costs.

We knew the position nearly a decade ago, the position remains the same today, and will remain the same in another decade. The only real question is how long some folk will continue to try to convince themselves (not us) that they are right by spreading their stuff and nonsense on a green and ethical thread/board? I suspect that those that remain nuclear advocates (over RE) and/or AGW deniers today, are probably incapable of ever learning from, nor listening to science/economics ...... as sad as that may be.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback