We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Query re ESA Support Group

Options
I have a query re above c/o a friend who has been in ESA Support Group and higher rate DLA for past two and a half years. Both awards were granted without a face to face assessment.

We have a query re the following two matters :

1) At some stage DWP will seek to reassess the claimant to verify continuing entitlement. For ESA claimants in the Support Group (and possibly for DLA/PIP reassessments) there seems to be an increasing trend to reassess based purely on a claim form and supporting medical evidence so long as the relevant condition has not changed substantially post initial assessment. Is this is the case and if so, why ? Any feedback appreciated.
2) Do any members have any idea when the claimant may expect to be reassessed , or at least receive a claim form. Have heard rumours that with current assessment backlogs(albeit possibly reducing post MAXIMUS introduction) that many people in the ESA Support Group are being left alone for up to 5 years. In addition, there is the DLA and PIP transfer which is due to kick in UK wide post October 2015 and thus a combined reassessment for both PIP and ESA entitlement may ensue. Not sure what is current backlog status of DLA/PIP transfer. Any feedback based on member's own knowledge or experiences re above would be welcomed.

Regards
Phil

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 9 June 2015 at 9:03PM
    Options
    of course you must remember that UC will also start to be rolled out anytime soon,from a personal experience my esa sup group after transferring from IB ran out in January i suspect they have just renewed it but i'm just hoping when really i should tele and ask
    as for dla trnasfers to pip I'm in the same boat,but i again suspect that they will first deal with expiring claims and new claims then work their way through transferring the rest of us on an ad hoc basis
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Routine ESA reassessments had been put on-hold because of the huge backlog when ATOS were supposedly doing the work. Maximus estimated that it would take them 18 months to clear the backlog. If that still holds true it's probably another 12 months or so before routine reassessments will begin again.
  • PHILANTHROPIST
    Options
    Thx Tellit.

Is there a similar delay/ backlog in transfer from DLA to PIP ?
  • billywilly
    billywilly Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    Thx Tellit.

Is there a similar delay/ backlog in transfer from DLA to PIP ?

At the moment (until otherwise announced) PIP will start with a vengeance in October with the National re-assessment programme. There has to be a 20% reduction in PIP awards over existing DLA awards.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    im on ESA support and my claim was for a year in support group,but that year was up on the 4th of June a few days ago,i had a paper decision,mainly for my Bipolar

i have had no contact from DWP regarding renewing,no forms etc,is it best to just leave it and wait for them to contact me??

many thanks
  • PHILANTHROPIST
    Options
    OK.

The claimant is based in Leeds. In theory DLA/PIP transfer for that period began in Feb 2015, but the claimant has heard nothing.

Is it probable, or certain, that if a claimant is re-assessed for PIP that the submitted data (or medical if required) would be used to re-assess for ESA or are they still two totally separate welfare streams managed by separate contractors ?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    They are currently two totally separate streams. The requirements to satisfy PIP/DLA don't map directly to ESA, or vice versa. A claim to ESA can be made on the basis of a short term condition whereas DLA/PIP are for longer term. Likewise, a condition which entitles somebody to PIP/DLA doesn't necessarily prevent them from working and therefore entitle them to ESA.
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Routine ESA assessments are still happening. My OH got his paperwork through a couple of weeks ago. He has been in support group for about 2 1/2 years, as far as I'm aware there wasn't an end date on his last assessment.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2015 at 11:28PM
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Likewise, a condition which entitles somebody to PIP/DLA doesn't necessarily prevent them from working and therefore entitle them to ESA.

A condition which entitles one to ESA doesn't necessarily prevent one from working, either.
    ESA is intended as a 'out of work' benefit - but you can in some circumstances remain entitled while working up to 16*NMW.
    Qualifying for even the ESA support group does not mean you are unable to work. It means that you have been assessed as not required to work and entitled to ESA.

For example, someone who has an accident requiring changing clothes once a week due to incontinence, or has a broken jaw, wired shut - may be quite employable. They are simply not required to work.

Sorry - pet peeve.

The converse of course, is more problematic.

Being found not entitled to the support group, or work-related group does not mean you have any realistic prospect of employability, or capacity to cope properly with the requirements that may be placed on you to seek work under UC/JSA.
  • billywilly
    billywilly Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    They are currently two totally separate streams. The requirements to satisfy PIP/DLA don't map directly to ESA, or vice versa. A claim to ESA can be made on the basis of a short term condition whereas DLA/PIP are for longer term. Likewise, a condition which entitles somebody to PIP/DLA doesn't necessarily prevent them from working and therefore entitle them to ESA.

So why are the DWP, in the interest of getting the PIP chaos sorted out using the ESA assessment report (ESA85) as evidence for the PIP claim?
    Likewise I have heard that the DWP are asking PIP claimants if they can use their last DLA evidence for the PIP claim - why when it bears no resemblance?

Seems that the DWP change their mind as often as mice wee - constantly - with no one to answer to!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport