ESA - Some help please

Options
Tomorrow morning, I'm due a phone call from an ESA decision maker about my medical I have in April.

I can't work due to anxiety and depression issues, and I am seeking councelling which begins very soon. If I don't get the ESA, what can I claim to tide me over?

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Tomorrow morning, I'm due a phone call from an ESA decision maker about my medical I have in April.

I can't work due to anxiety and depression issues, and I am seeking councelling which begins very soon. If I don't get the ESA, what can I claim to tide me over?

I probably expect you will be denied.

First you need to make a claim for JSA, then request a mandatory reconsideration, Can do this via phone or in writing takes about a month for them to do this, If the decision comes back the same, You can lodge an appeal and you will be reinstated assessment rate of ESA providing you close the JSA claim, But you dont need to claim JSA because if you win the mandatory reconsideration you will be backdated, But it's a gamble.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The purpose of the Decision Maker's call is to determine if there is any additional information which can be used to strengthen your claim. If you had been given the requisite points by the HCP at the assessment this wouldn't be necessary.
    The DM will explain what your options are, from reconsideration to appeal, to moving to JSA.
  • Predaleko1984
    Options
    Thanks guys - either way, at least I am prepared whatever happens. It's a bit out of order I may move to JSA even though I am not ready.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys - either way, at least I am prepared whatever happens. It's a bit out of order I may move to JSA even though I am not ready.

I thought you said you were working?
  • paragon909
    Options
    I thought you said you were working?

You're going like you had a verbal chat with the OP, Go look at the OP's comments and you will see it doesn't say they were working. You aren't here to help the OP.

I am sick of people making ridiculous comments on this forum thinking they have some sort of right to interrogate people.
  • Predaleko1984
    Options
    Well, I had the call and I scored 0 points, so a JSA claim it is. To be fair, I accept it as I do kind of want to go back to work.

What will happen now? Will I have to re-apply for Housing Benefit again? How long does a transfer take?
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    paragon909 wrote: »
    You're going like you had a verbal chat with the OP, Go look at the OP's comments and you will see it doesn't say they were working. You aren't here to help the OP.

I am sick of people making ridiculous comments on this forum thinking they have some sort of right to interrogate people.

The OP wrote "I can't work due to anxiety and depression issues" which I took to mean he was off work sick.

Take your attitude elsewhere!
  • paragon909
    Options
    Well, I had the call and I scored 0 points, so a JSA claim it is. To be fair, I accept it as I do kind of want to go back to work.

What will happen now? Will I have to re-apply for Housing Benefit again? How long does a transfer take?

You need to ask DWP to send out a report on your medical, And just go through it highlighting all parts you disagree with either put this in writing and get the address from ESA, or call ESA and they can take your mandatory reconsideration over the phone.

This takes about a month for them to review you reconsideration, if not successful they will send you 2 statements, 1 goes to the courts and you keep one. Also what ever happens to you now medically after your medical wont count towards any appeal or reconsideration as this had to be proved before or during the medical.

Am not sure how housing benefit works. But you need to call JSA and make a claim over the phone, You could ask DWP/JCP to provide you with a disability advisor that can customise your claimant commitment. You better hope they dont try put you on Universal Credit as that takes 5 weeks before you get a payment and would be worthless because you would probably be back on ESA again.
  • bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Options
    paragon909 wrote: »
    You need to ask DWP to send out a report on your medical, And just go through it highlighting all parts you disagree with either put this in writing and get the address from ESA, or call ESA and they can take your mandatory reconsideration over the phone.

This takes about a month for them to review you reconsideration, if not successful they will send you 2 statements, 1 goes to the courts and you keep one. Also what ever happens to you now medically after your medical wont count towards any appeal or reconsideration as this had to be proved before or during the medical.

Am not sure how housing benefit works. But you need to call JSA and make a claim over the phone, You could ask DWP/JCP to provide you with a disability advisor that can customise your claimant commitment. You better hope they dont try put you on Universal Credit as that takes 5 weeks before you get a payment and would be worthless because you would probably be back on ESA again.

The OP hasn't asked about appealing. They wrote they accept it and want to look at returning to work.
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can make a claim for JSA the day after you receive the decision (so tomorrow)

Speak to the council and inform them of your change of circumstances tomorrow (HB and CT reduction) It should be very straightforward.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure