Are my parents eligible for any benefits?

Options
Hi all,

Firstly really appreciate anyone taking the time reading this. My dad doesnt like talking about this much, and they are finding it extremely hard to make ends meet due to my dad not having a company pension and not having a state pension (US expat/alien).

My dad (67 years old) and mum (55 years old) live in a 3 bedroom small cottage (tax band E), that they privately rent. They have never owned their own house. My dad is American and moved to the UK around 30 years ago where he met my mum and married etc etc. So he is classed as a UK 'alien'. Throughout that time he has been self employed running his own clothing shop, until the recession hit and that went down hill, he has done a bit of trying to launch new shops but has given up and now relies on my mum to support the household. My mum is a Primary school teacher, but quit for 12 years to raise myself and siblings.

Now its my understanding that my dad does not get any state pension or anything because he's classed as an alien? He's never put into his own pension (stupid I know, but cant change the past). They are finding it really hard to make ends meet on just my mum's primary school salary. They live pretty basic as it is.

My question is does my dad qualify for any state pension or any benefits in kinda, due to him being old and not employable. What happens when my mum retires from primary school teaching, do they have to live off her part school pension (as she quit for 12 years)? Do I have to support them? My sister lives with them at the moment but is not a dependant, though she does not pay rent she has a job.

It's a bit confusing but as I said my dad won't really talk about it so if there is any financial benefits they can get or any support that they don't realise I'd be grateful for any clarification.

Cheers,
Tom

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is not my area of expertise and your dad may well need some professional advice.

The main factor is his immigration status. Do you know what it is? When he came to the UK he would have had a stamp put in his passport declaring his status.

Since then has he done anything about becoming a British citizen. Is he here illegally (sorry, don't mean to frighten you.)

Claiming a state pension and other benefits will probably depend on his immigration status. There is no such thing as a UK alien.

If your mum is receiving a salary as a primary teacher then if she is working full time then this is likely to take them out of claiming any means tested benefits.

So, in short, check out your dad's immigration status and come back and tell us.

In the meantime the simplest solution is for your sister to pay 'keep' since she is working.
  • Tomo8281
    Tomo8281 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Just asked my mum and his status is a registered alien with leave to remain.

Does that help?
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    If he was self employed, he should of paid national insurance, which would give him some form of state pension entitlement. As the state pension is contributory there is not the same conditions that means testing would bring. Get him to contact the pension service.
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    Tomo8281 wrote: »
    Just asked my mum and his status is a registered alien with leave to remain.

Does that help?

if he has indefinite leave to remain then he is entitle to claim benefits just like a British citizen.

As regards his state pension, was he paying NI contribution whilst he was working? if so he should enquire about a state pension.

Since your mum is working I doubt very much if they will get any other help but they can put their details into the calculator on https://www.entitledto.co.uk.

Once your mum stops working then they can try the calculator again.

Does your dad have any health problems?
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    Try here for state pensions

https://www.gov.uk/contact-pension-service
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    In the meantime the simplest solution is for your sister to pay 'keep' since she is working.

This ^^^^^^

Why doesn't she pay anything towards the household bills, food etc.?
  • Tomo8281
    Tomo8281 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/contact-pension-service[/QUOTE]
    This ^^^^^^

Why doesn't she pay anything towards the household bills, food etc.?

She just got out of university and just got a part time job, so I'll be having that talk with her I assure you :)!
    Will do thanks
    When he was self employed was he registered for self assessement and paying tax/NIC?
    I would assume he was paying tax as it was a nice semi successful business when he was in his prime! He's not that type of person to evade tax I think, but I'll have a chat thanks.
    if he has indefinite leave to remain then he is entitle to claim benefits just like a British citizen.

As regards his state pension, was he paying NI contribution whilst he was working? if so he should enquire about a state pension.

Since your mum is working I doubt very much if they will get any other help but they can put their details into the calculator on https://www.entitledto.co.uk.

Once your mum stops working then they can try the calculator again.

Does your dad have any health problems?
    Thanks will get them to do that. No health problems, Just getting on a bit (arnt we all!)

Also thanks a bunch to all the replies, I’m going to hassle him to call up the pension service and see. I feel a lot more knowledgeable so thanks a bunch :)
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If he's over state pension age shouldn't the DWP have written to him about getting it ?
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    Alternatively, could they downsize their rental to a 2 bed if the rent was cheaper?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure