🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Helped I've Just Been Robbed

Options
13»

Comments

• billywilly
    billywilly Posts: 468 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2015 at 12:48AM
    Options
    And the rich get richer and the poor get poorer... The Tory manifesto. Funny how they changed the law to enable them to take money directly from the wages of the poorest, but won't change the law to close tax loopholes for the rich...

Those who have to claim a crisis loan are not what you may call 'captains of industry'.

The government/DWP/HMRC have to tread very carefully with the richest & powerful in society for obvious reasons. If they were clobbered with large tax bills and a punitive tax regime, they would up sticks and walk. Who in those two examples should be treated with kid gloves. Those that take from the state or those that provide jobs for the working class?

We as a family have done quite nicely out the the Tories over the past 5 years. Above inflation increases, 100% Council Tax Support, and we have claimed benefits! That's probably because we are pensioners!
    God Bless the boys in Blue!!
  • giddypenguin
    giddypenguin Posts: 808 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    billywilly wrote: »
    Those who have to claim a crisis loan are not what you may call 'captains of industry'.

The government/DWP/HMRC have to tread very carefully with the richest & powerful in society for obvious reasons. If they were clobbered with large tax bills and a punitive tax regime, they would up sticks and walk. Who in those two examples should be treated with kid gloves. Those that take from the state or those that provide jobs for the working class?

We as a family have done quite nicely out the the Tories over the past 5 years. Above inflation increases, 100% Council Tax Support, and we have claimed benefits! That's probably because we are pensioners!
    R
    Yes bribing the blue rinse brigade, while clobbering our young family and threatening our tax credits (the only thing that is enabling me to keep my skilled job going so that I might return full time in a year or two a productive and contributing member of the work force)
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2015 at 3:36PM
    Options
    R
    Yes bribing the blue rinse brigade, while clobbering our young family and threatening our tax credits (the only thing that is enabling me to keep my skilled job going so that I might return full time in a year or two a productive and contributing member of the work force)

Yeah well if this member of the blue rinse brigade had been given tax credits in the 90s then I might not have had to cash in a couple of pensions in order to pay my mortgage, instead I am going to have to be a productive and contributing member of the work force for 51 years and not 45 years as I intended.

If my Dad had tax credits in the 50s/60s he wouldn't have had to work 3 jobs and maybe his YOUNG FAMILY would have actually seen something of him.

This is a thread about debts to the DWP not an excuse to have a go at pensioners about a potential loss of benefits that they themselves never got.
  • Podge52
    Podge52 Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    Options
    billywilly wrote: »

I hear this argument all the time and don't believe a word of it.

They may indeed up sticks and walk but that would leave a gap in the market that somebody else would exploit surely.
  • Somerset
    Somerset Posts: 3,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Podge52 wrote: »

They may indeed up sticks and walk but that would leave a gap in the market that somebody else would exploit surely.

Who in their right mind would want to, given the scenario of being ''clobbered with large tax bills and a punitive tax regime ''. If there's no reward there's no incentive.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    R

Hardly being "clobbered" when you're able to pay off a chunk of your mortgage in the space of a few years!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport