wrong default date on file.

Options
HI I agree with all the defaults on my file but one was place a year later than I thought can I appeal?

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    You can try writing to state that you think the default is inaccurate and unfair.
    Sometimes creditors will agree to backdate a default.

When was it registered? and when do you think it should have been?
    You may want to quote from the relevant guidelines in your letter. The guidelines changed at the start of 2014 so which guidelines they should have followed depends on the dates.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • BEAT_THE_DEBT
    BEAT_THE_DEBT Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi it's almost a year out 2010/11 I expected not mid 2012. Thanks
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    What is showing prior to the default in the status codes?
    Is it showing as '6' months in arrears before that? and if so for how long?

on this link
    ICO/SCOR - Principles for the Reporting of Arrears, Arrangements and Defaults
    the old guidelines that were in place at that time are the ones linked to in post #3.

So you could write to them to state that the information is not accurate and you believe it is unfair.
    You could point out that according to the ICO guidelines on the filing of default with credit reference agencies -
    clause 4 states
    A record showing a series of paymentsas six months in arrears when this does not reflect the real paymenthistory should not be used as an equivalent of a default.
    clause 2 states
    The principles require that personal data is accurate
    clause 11 states
    Accounts should normally be filed as being in default where thosepayments due have not been received for six months.

There may be other clauses that are relevant, depending on the circumstances of your particular debt (e.g. there is a section on debt management plans if you were in a DMP).
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Default_Devil
    Options
    HI I agree with all the defaults on my file but one was place a year later than I thought can I appeal?

Write a strongly worded letter to the company along with any evidence you have. Evidence is your best friend! Make a formal complaint to the FSA regarding it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure