T-Mobile Default I didn't know about.

Options
Hi, I need a little help with this one.
I only really started checking my Credit report a few months ago and noticed a Tmobile default saying £53 owed. It has been every month since June last year. I had trouble when I lost my job at the end of 2013 and couldnt pay the bill for a few months.
Then in Jan the debt collectors offered a reduced settlement of £90(instead of £120) which I paid and they said it was all settled(the default didn't show until June, before that it just says payment is late). I called T mobile to confirm and they said the account was paid and closed.

Which leads to now, they say I owe £53 but have never been asked for it, been sent any letters or had any communications with them since they said it was settled.

I contacted them about it and received this reply:
Thank you for your email regarding defaults that have appeared on your credit file having been issued by T-Mobile/EE. I am sorry that you have had to contact our department personally; nevertheless I am glad you have given me the opportunity to address your concerns.

In light of the comments in your email, I can confirm that the default that has been placed on your credit file has been applied correctly. Although I fully appreciate the difficult situation you were going through after losing your job, I can see no record on your cancelled account to suggest that you reported this to us prior to the cancellation of the account.

As a result and in keeping with the Terms and Conditions of the contract you agreed to at point of sale, if payments are not made, or an EE representative is informed of your financial situation, we are under no obligation to remove any defaults that you may have incurred. If information had been presented to us at an earlier date, a member of our Billing Team would have been able to create a payment arrangement for your case to ensure that your service was not limited and/or further financial implications would not occur.

I do understand that you will not be satisfied with my response and it is not my intention to cause you any further inconvenience; however on this occasion I am unable to meet your request. As a balance of fifty three pounds and eleven pence inc VAT remains on your account, I ask you to please contact a member of our Customer Services Team by calling 0845 412 5000* to discuss this matter further.

But no mention of where the £53 came from. Should I just pay it and try and get the default removed somehow. I've managed to get rid of £8k debt over this last year leaving just our credit card to pay and we would like to try for a mortgage :)

Any advice?

Thanks, Isaac

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    So is the default date on file June 2014? And did you pay the reduced settlement in Jan 15? or Jan 14?

Does the entry on your file show the outstanding balance is £53? or just that the default amount was £53 but the outstanding balance of zero?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Isaac_Clarke
    Options
    I paid in Jan 2014 and the first default was June 2014. The credit report shows a default each month for £53 owed.

Hope this helps, thanks.
  • Isaac_Clarke
    Options
    Another question as I dont fully understand this stuff. When they added the default, it shows up every month. Will it do this indefinatly?

Thanks
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    The actual default is the date shown. The monthly status updates just show that the account has defaulted, not that it is a new default.

The whole credit entry and default will drop off 6 years after the default date (unless you can get the default removed).

Do you still have any paperwork regarding the reduced settlement you agreed. e.g a letter that states they will accept £90?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Isaac_Clarke
    Options
    Unfortunatly not, it was over the phone, at best I may still have phone recordings. I think it was dealt with by Jacobs.

I am glad though that its not a new default each month. Although I would have been happy to pay the £53 had I been told about it at the time. I'm not even sure where it came from. I asked EE and they said the amount is correct but didn't say what it was for. They want me to write in to the credit department with a cover letter.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport