edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in England
3 replies 4.2K views
Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
9.6K Posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in England
Hi everyone!

A scheme came into effect yesterday that may provide 17 rural areas in England and Scotland with cheaper fuel.

Have a read of our post over on the Scotland board for more info.
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Replies

• MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I understand it, the rural petrol stations charge up to 10p/l more than those in the nearest towns, so the subsidy won't make fuel cheap, just less expensive
  • See ^^^^

Here on the coast, 4* currently is 119.9/litre - yet 30-odd miles away in our nearest large town (NOT city) it is 112.9/litre!

Our population (small town & surrounding area) is around 11,000 (much more in summer) - so we understand that there's not the turnover (and hence profitability) of a conurbation.

It doesn't make the price difference any less-irritating though.
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    A very lazy and misleading OP. And why it just had to refer to the post on the Scottish board and didn't bother to include the BBC News link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-31747184) in this post, I've no idea.

The fact is, it was only talking about four areas of England: NE48 (Northumberland), LA17 (Cumbria), EX35 (Devon) and Hawes in North Yorkshire and, despite the wording of the OP, NOT rural areas generally.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides