PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do you think Help to Buy is worth it? Details inside...

Options
In a hypothetical scenario you would like to buy your first home. Over the last few years through careful spending and saving you have managed to save enough for a 5% deposit. Do you:
  1. Use the Help to Buy Equity Loan to buy a new build (and possibly more expensive?) house with your 5% deposit, and then during the next five years, try to save up enough money to pay off as much of the government's 20% loan as you can before you are charged interest on it.
  2. Use the Help to Buy Mortgage Guarantee to buy an existing (and possibly cheaper) house with a 5% deposit and then pay back the mortgage that presumably has a terrible rate, but at least your money is going towards buying the property instead of into the hands of a private landlord.
  3. Carry on renting, but keep putting money aside for a deposit. In September 2015 when the government's Help to Buy ISA becomes available, put your money into it and then continue contributing at least £200 a month into the ISA. Wait until you have enough for a 20% deposit (less £3000 that the government will contribute) and then buy a house with a more favourable mortgage. Assume it would take you at least 5 years to save enough.
  4. Same as 3, but wait until you have enough for a 40% deposit.
  5. Continue renting forever and give up the dream of owning your own home.
What do people think is the best option?

Comments

• alibean121
    alibean121 Posts: 259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm aiming to buy my first home soon(ish) and I'm aiming for a 10% deposit. I think I'd struggle to get mortgaged with much less than this help to buy or otherwise... I feel that saving much beyond this for a first home just to save on mortgage rates is false economy considering how quickly prices are rising.

I don't want a new build, they've very overpriced in this area so the help to buy is out. If I wanted a new build, I'd definitely take that as soon as possible probably.
  • sebadee
    sebadee Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    We waited out until we got to the 10% mark and that has worked out well. We went for a place going for 210k with a 21k deposit and got a rate of 2.7% fixed for two years.

Our plan now is to overpay as much of the 7% we are allocated each year to get the equity down (or is it up?), so that when we renew in two years, we will have a better LTV and hopefully a better rate (well better according to what the rates are at the time, should we had not have paid down).
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Incidentally, how different are the rates with the Mortgage Guarantee scheme in comparison to non-HTB mortgages? Are lenders taking advantage of buyers knowing that this is their only method of buying a house or are we just making assumptions?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    corbyboy wrote: »
    Incidentally, how different are the rates with the Mortgage Guarantee scheme in comparison to non-HTB mortgages? Are lenders taking advantage of buyers knowing that this is their only method of buying a house or are we just making assumptions?
    HTB - MG rates are about the same as those for non-HTB products at 95% and if they are higher it's because the rate collects funds for the repossession indemnity scheme the Government guarantees.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • alibean121
    alibean121 Posts: 259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    HTB - MG rates are about the same as those for non-HTB products at 95% and if they are higher it's because the rate collects funds for the repossession indemnity scheme the Government guarantees.

Absolutely, similar to non-HTB mortgages at 95%, unfortunately mortgages at that level are pretty expensive. Much more so than at 90%.

Anyways, I personally won't be in a position to buy until a promotion comes through in September and I'm hoping to have 10% in place.
  • zzzt
    zzzt Posts: 407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm leaning on the side of using the government ISA scheme for 5 years. I'd like to do it faster, but as I understand it the maximum you're allowed to put in is £200 per month, on which the government gives you £50, so it would take 5 years to get the maximum bonus of £3000.

I dunno if I'd be waiting too long to get on the housing ladder though. In the long term if house prices go up it might just be better to be paying off a mortgage than to save for a bigger deposit, even if I start out with a bad rate, I could work towards paying off as much as I can in the early years and then remortgage like sebadee said above (I didn't realise that was a possibility before).

Do mortgage brokers usually charge for advice, or do they take commission in some way for getting your custom to a lender?
  • Chocolatefund
    Options
    I'm aiming for 15 to 20 percent.

On my salary of 22k, I can realistically only borrow between 80 to 100 ( and 100k is pushing it). Flats in the area I want to buy are about 115+ So I've decided to save up the difference and buy in the area I really want rather then look further out for something cheaper.

I can't start looking till September anyway due to work, so I might as well keep saving :)
    I eat far too much Chocolate...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport