Unwanted proxy server

in Techie Stuff
12 replies 1.4K views
skipnessskipness Forumite
44 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
Forumite
The family laptop is unable to connect to the internet because a proxy server has been configured (by a game children have played perhaps?)
Removing the proxy server by going to the advanced options doesn't work because the proxy's details reinsert themselves after deletion.
System restore also seems ineffective.
Any ideas please?

Replies

• edited 31 May 2015 at 5:07PM
    bsodbsod Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    edited 31 May 2015 at 5:07PM
    uninstall whatever was installed, install malwarebytes to scan the system, failing that re-install the browser and browser profile or reset it to default settings. Searching the net for the proxy server reference will probably produce some useful detail on what you have picked up.
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • CrinkmeisterCrinkmeister Forumite
    473 Posts
    Are you using an antivirus package?
  • Strider590Strider590 Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    Don't do anything that requires credentials until this is sorted, and unknown proxy server is a "man in the middle" attack waiting to happen.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    32.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Or the proxy server was installed by your AntiVirus or Firwall?

What did it change it to?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• AndyPixAndyPix Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    definitely smells like malware ..
    Download malwarebytes from a clean machine and install it from a usb stick on the "broken" one.

Do a scan and see what happens

Andy
  • skipnessskipness Forumite
    44 Posts
    Forumite
    The "proxy" is 127.0.0.1 which apparently means "local host"

Under exceptions it states <-loop back>
  • So your laptop is trying to use itself as a proxy server, with a bypass of itself configured.
  • skipnessskipness Forumite
    44 Posts
    Forumite
    O.K., how do I remove this setting. The usual changing of Internet options doesn't work so I assume there is a registry setting or something that causes the problem to recur :-(
  • tavernmantavernman Forumite
    575 Posts
    Have you scanned using Malwarebytes ? https://www.malwarebytes.org/
  • interstellaflyerinterstellaflyer Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    skipness wrote: »
    O.K., how do I remove this setting. The usual changing of Internet options doesn't work so I assume there is a registry setting or something that causes the problem to recur :-(

Have you gone to add/remove programs? If you know the rough date that it was installed you should find it, I've done this a few times when my daughter has downloaded programs from download sites. Sometimes just removing the program works, other times you need to go into you browser setting and change a few settings, I can't remember the exact procedure but there are plenty of tutorials on the net, once you can get the computer back on the net then download and run Malwarebytes as others have said, however, be carefull when downloading as these things come from download sites so be sure you are clicking the right button.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals