Luck negotiating with Virgin??

Flights for my trip to the States come out next week.

I have a feeling that Virgin will have a seat sale around August/September time but i'd rather try and get the seats booked when they're released.

For the flights the week before i want to go, they're quite a bit higher than i want to pay. I'm happy to call Virgin and haggle, has anyone tried this before and had any success?

Comments

• blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Flights for my trip to the States come out next week.

I have a feeling that Virgin will have a seat sale around August/September time but i'd rather try and get the seats booked when they're released.

Then you will pay top whack :eek:

For the flights the week before i want to go, they're quite a bit higher than i want to pay. I'm happy to call Virgin and haggle, has anyone tried this before and had any success?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Let us know how you get on
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    the fares are the fares...you may get 1% if you go via a cashback site but expect the fares you see on the web are the fares you would pay
    once you book, don't look again
    be aware that the cheapest fare buckets may not be released when the flights first come out
  • Blue264
    Blue264 Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    I'm happy to call Virgin and haggle, has anyone tried this before and had any success?

Try it by all means, but please bare in mind that the agent you will be speaking to will have zero control over the fares. Unless you are booking 10+ seats on any given flight, I fear you won't get anywhere.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No harm in trying but you arent likely to get anywhere.

You could argue that there is more chances with a travel agent who may be willing to waive part of their commission but again if its just a flight you are booking odds arent good.

Sales are based on how well things are selling and any flights etc that arent selling as well as predicted are the ones that get the discounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure