recommend me a 17" laptop

in Techie Stuff
13 replies 1.2K views
longwalks1longwalks1 Forumite
3.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
Forumite
I'm after a decent 17" laptop for work and to share deal from, and need it to be as fast as possible and able to have several internet windows open at the same time.

Any recommendations please for a good 17" laptop

Many thanks
Kitchen project - Apologies in advance for all the questions! 

Replies

• Neil49Neil49 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How much do you want to spend and does it really need to be as fast as possible. A better indication of what you want to do with it would help as 'work' could relate to anything.
  • longwalks1longwalks1 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Forumite
    Up to maybe £700, and sorry I should of said. Work is basically Word and Excel and 4 or 5 internet pages open at the same time.

Nothing too demanding, to be honest just want something where I can click on 4/5/6 new pages and they'll all of loaded by the time I go back to them. Current laptop often hangs up/freezes, then you get the 'page not responding' message, then takes a minute or 2 to reload it - frustrating!
  • GloomendoomGloomendoom Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Does it have to be a 17"? I have a 15.something inch and I plug in an external monitor into it if need more screen space.

17" laptops are big and bulky.
  • edited 31 May 2015 at 7:21PM
    tronatortronator Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 31 May 2015 at 7:21PM
    britishboy wrote: »
    Up to maybe £700, and sorry I should of said. Work is basically Word and Excel and 4 or 5 internet pages open at the same time.

Nothing too demanding, to be honest just want something where I can click on 4/5/6 new pages and they'll all of loaded by the time I go back to them. Current laptop often hangs up/freezes, then you get the 'page not responding' message, then takes a minute or 2 to reload it - frustrating!

Any modern laptop should be able to cope with that. No need to spend this much. Maybe your current laptop just needs a re-installation of Windows. My 7 year old laptop easily handles these kind of tasks, the only thing I upgraded was an SSD. On the other hand, it doesn't run Windows...
    Does it have to be a 17"? I have a 15.something inch and I plug in an external monitor into it if need more screen space.

17" laptops are big and bulky.

17" monitors are big and bulky. I have an 17" laptop and can understand everyone who wants a 17" laptop.
  • edited 31 May 2015 at 8:00PM
    FightsbackFightsback Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    edited 31 May 2015 at 8:00PM
    Something like this maybe ?

Has a dedicated graphics card and full HD screen (1920x1080)

saveonlaptops.co.uk/CB-CZ7840-385HS-Cube-Chameleon-CZ-7840_1749157.html

£650

or this @ £675

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/msi-gp70-2qe-17.3-inch-nvidia-geforce-940m-sharkbay-i5-8gb-1tb-win-8.1-9s7-175a12-641/version.asp
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • longwalks1longwalks1 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Forumite
    Cheers all

Set my heart on a 17" as it'll only really be used indoors, on my lap or the kitchen table, so doesnt actually need to be that portable

Fightsback, havent heard of that make MSI, does brand matter much if the internals as the same as in other more well known brands?
  • edited 31 May 2015 at 9:22PM
    FightsbackFightsback Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    edited 31 May 2015 at 9:22PM
    Cheers all

Set my heart on a 17" as it'll only really be used indoors, on my lap or the kitchen table, so doesnt actually need to be that portable

Fightsback, havent heard of that make MSI, does brand matter much if the internals as the same as in other more well known brands?

MSI have been around a very long time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro-Star_International

IIRC the first self build PC I did centuries ago used an MSI motherboard.

Note the MSI has a 2 year warranty.

Do consider Dell as well:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/laptops?~ck=bt#!facets=93410~0~1450395&p=1

I've given you some ideas, what I'd suggest for your £700 budget is make sure it has full HD (1920x1080) and a discrete graphics card, i.e. the graphics processor is a dedicated unit with it's own seperate RAM.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • tronatortronator Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Forumite

MSI are in the market as long as I can think back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro-Star_International
  • edited 31 May 2015 at 9:24PM
    BadBehaviourBadBehaviour Forumite
    302 Posts
    edited 31 May 2015 at 9:24PM
    Just get at least an i3 cpu and an SSD will ensure pretty much instant loading of applications etc.
    No need to spend £700 or have a graphic card just for office use and a few tabs open in the browser; that's overkill.

I think something like this could be more than enough. It's refurbished though, but comes with a standard 1 year warranty. http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&puid=ff9dd24c

I posted that because you mention wanting a 17-inch screen; that one has no SSD, but the CPU etc will handle your type of usage with no problems. Laptops with SSD cost typically a lot more.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm very pleased with this Medion 17" which I bought direct, over two years ago and would hate having to go back to a smaller screen. It has an i5 processor and cost under £500.

They have a number of 17" models at the moment and all , except gaming machines, are under £500; some much less.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals