Help to buy and Consent to Lease

Options
In September 2014 I took out a mortgage on a home with Halifax. I intended to live in this home and I have been doing so. However, circumstances have arising that impact my financial situation and are a threat to my ability to make my mortgage payments. Also, I face the threat of redundancy at work and should that happen then I will definitely not be able to make the payments. One option I have considered is moving in with family until my situation is more secure and renting out my property. However, since I have a help to buy mortgage is there any chance that I would even be considered for a Consent to Lease?

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I do not do many HTB mortgages but my understanding is that you would not be eligible for consent to let as its one of the bits of criteria for the scheme.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • libf
    libf Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    You'd need permission from Help To Buy as well as permission from the mortgage company, and I believe that the only case they're really willing to allow it is for serving members of the armed forces on periods of duty abroad.

If you can't make the payments then you'll likely have to sell.
  • BlueStarJay
    Options
    Is there anything that would prevent me from changing my Help to Buy mortgage to a Buy-to-Let mortgage?
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You would presumably have to pay early repayment charged?
    Im also guessing that if you have used help to buy you probably do not have the 20-25% equity needed?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • libf
    Options
    Is there anything that would prevent me from changing my Help to Buy mortgage to a Buy-to-Let mortgage?

You'd have to pay the Help To Buy loan back first.

From the Help to Buy Guide:

Q Can I sublet my Help to Buy home?
    No. Help to Buy is designed to assist you to move on to or up the housing ladder. If you wish to sublet, you will first have to repay the Help to Buy equity loan assistance. In exceptional circumstances (e.g. a serving member of the Armed Forces staff whose tour of duty requires them to serve away from the area in which they live for a fixed period, then sub-letting can be considered. In these circumstances you would also require approval from your mortgage lender).
  • laurasavon
    laurasavon Posts: 475 Forumite
    Options
    I have a feeling one of the exceptional circumstances is financial reasons and even if you couldn't continue with the scheme if Halifax agree to grant you consent to let you would just drop off the scheme, your mortgage would still continue
    Jan 2010 - Overdraft £9,500 / Credit Cards £5,000 / Loan £9,500 / Mortgage £128,000
    Jun 2010 - Overdraft £0 / Credit Card £0 / Loan £0 / Mortgage £125,250
    Oct 2011 - Overdraft £7,000 :mad: / Mortgage £115,295
    Dec 2014 - Overdrafts 15,000 / Credit Cards 16,000 / Loans 25,000 / Cars 18,000 / Mortgages 232,500
  • libf
    Options
    laurasavon wrote: »
    I have a feeling one of the exceptional circumstances is financial reasons and even if you couldn't continue with the scheme if Halifax agree to grant you consent to let you would just drop off the scheme, your mortgage would still continue

But you can't 'drop off' the scheme without re-paying the loan, so unless the OP has funds for that (which it doesn't sound like) then sale of the property would be the only way to pay it off.

Or of course if the mortgage could be extended to re-pay HTB then I guess that might work, but not if the OP is made redundant before the remortgage goes through...

OP: you need to contact the post sales agent and see if they agree your circumstances are exceptional enough to rent out your house.
  • laurasavon
    laurasavon Posts: 475 Forumite
    Options
    If the lender agrees they can run it as a normal loan and let it come off the scheme
    Jan 2010 - Overdraft £9,500 / Credit Cards £5,000 / Loan £9,500 / Mortgage £128,000
    Jun 2010 - Overdraft £0 / Credit Card £0 / Loan £0 / Mortgage £125,250
    Oct 2011 - Overdraft £7,000 :mad: / Mortgage £115,295
    Dec 2014 - Overdrafts 15,000 / Credit Cards 16,000 / Loans 25,000 / Cars 18,000 / Mortgages 232,500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure