Savings - What to do next...

Hello!

For the past 18 months I have been sorting myself out financially, trying my best to get some savings behind me. I would now appreciate a bit of advice as to where to go now. On everyone's recommendation, I have tried to get short term, medium term and long term savings in place.

SHORT TERM - From advice on here, I got myself an emergency fund / SYF Fund (Sod You Fund) sorted. In it I have maxed out three BoS Vantage accounts and two TSB accounts. I also have £1,000 in my normal HSBC account in case of an emergency (trip to the dentist, problem with the car etc.). Should I lose my job, become unwell or dislike my boss that much, I have this money to live off. I believe it is also prudent to have six months expenses in the bank to cover unexpected issues.

MEDIUM TERM - I set up two regular saving accounts with First Direct (6%) and HSBC (4%) as these seem two of the best accounts that I can access. They are due to 'mature' and I will start new ones hopefully next week.

LONG TERM - I finally got round to starting a pension five months ago (I was slow on the uptake I admit, but I have got one now!). I don't have any ISAs or shares...yet.

Other info you might need: I am 37, not married and no children. I don't have a home of my own yet and live with my Dad since my Mum died a little while ago. It helps him with the bills and he has some company with me there. I have no debt and a newish car that is all bought and paid for. I am usually able to save between £1,000 and £1,500 a month, apart from the occasional month when expenses are higher (i.e. April - when car tax, insurance and MOT are all required) .

With my regular savers due to mature next week and some surplus wages from the past two months still in the bank, I will have around £10,000 in a few days. Part of me would like to put this into Premium Bonds, so that I have some comfort of knowing that the money is there should I need it. With this and the BoS/TSB accounts, I would feel really comfortable and happy with this.

I know there is the Santander account where you can put in £20,000 at 3%, trouble is, I don't have any Direct Debits at all. The cashback won't help with me as I don't pay for utility bills. This also applies for the Club Lloyds account, I believe you have to have DD's and I don't. If I am wrong, please correct me!

So instead, I was thinking of sorting out a Cash ISA. I was thinking of putting in half the allowance this year (£7,700 ish) in the best Cash ISA going and then putting the other half in a S&S ISA. I would like to continue doing this every year from now on, trying to build this up.

I get the impression that Government Bonds are a bit dicey at the moment, besides, I know very little about them, so I'll leave those for the moment.

This then leaves the house to buy. I have been very casually looking around for homes/flats, as believe it or not, I am not sure exactly where I want to live! Thought it might be best to figure what I wanted so I know what I need to save up for!

I am not fortunate enough to be able to ask the 'Bank of Mum and Dad' for help (not that I would take their money off them even if they had it, bless 'em). I've got to do it all by myself, which is cool, but a challenge!

Where do I go from here then? Any help is very much appreciated. My long term goal is to be financially independent and to have a home that is all bought and paid for. Oh, and I would like a holiday every year somewhere hot!

Thanks in advance
No. 47 Save £12k in 2018: £ ( %)
No. 88 Save £10k in 2017: £10,000 (100%)

Comments

• bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Direct debits are easy to achieve - there are a couple of Tesco savings accounts that you can set up in a matter of minutes, and create direct debits from them to draw money out of the direct debit-requiring current accounts, eg Lloyds.

Start the regular savers again when these mature (£1,200 a month saved at 4-6%).

Personally I'm getting out of ISAs - low rates and will likely need the money within the next few years for a house - and Premium Bonds rates are very low, so neither are a great place to put money if you want a fair amount of interest.
  • Wilkos
    Wilkos Posts: 44 Forumite
    bsms1147 - thanks for the reply. You are right, the Cash ISA rates are really low and have been for a while, which is why I have opened the BoS and TSB accounts instead of ISAs.

Re: Tesco accounts. Are they the ones that you can put £3,000 in at 3%? You can also have two of them, can't you? I had not thought of opening them and doing what you suggest. If that works, then the Santander 123 account is looking doable now. Thanks for the help!
    No. 47 Save £12k in 2018: £ ( %)
    No. 88 Save £10k in 2017: £10,000 (100%)
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    No, they're actual savings accounts rather than current accounts (Internet Saver/Instant Access Savings).

http://www.tescobank.com/savings/flexible/
  • noggin1980
    noggin1980 Posts: 419 Forumite
    Getting a credit card is worth while for the cashback, for the working on your credit worthyness and for the protection a credit card gives you, use that for spending and have a direct debit to pay it off in full each month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure