How to calculate interest in a santander 123 account?

Hello,

If I was to put £20K in a Santander 123 account does this mean that I would earn £600 per year at 3% or because amounts less than £3k have lesser interest I wouldn't get the full 3% on them, so that would mean I wouldn't earn £600 per year on the full £20k?

Finding it a little confusing so any clarification would be really appreciated.

John

Comments

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You'll get 3% on the full £20k.
    Stompa
  • NotRichAtAll
    NotRichAtAll Posts: 888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    all amounts over 3k get 3% interest so 20k falls into an amount over 3k so that earns the 3%
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,

remember, there might be a tax deduction of 20%, depending on your circumstances.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Well 2.96% minus 20% tax in reality.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Stompa wrote: »
    You'll get 3% on the full £20k.
    ceredigion wrote: »
    Well 2.96% minus 20% tax in reality.
    Stompa is slightly right, the AER of the 123 is 3% for balances between £3K and £20K. But AER includes compounding of monthly interest, which you cannot benefit from if you keep £20K in the account all the time. You could, of course, move the monthly interest to other accounts where you can earn interest, and that is what many multi-accounters do, but the interest rate you can earn from a permanently maxed 123 is the Gross interest, published as 2.96%, as cerdigion said. As ceredigion and frugalmacdugal also point out, 20% tax will be withheld unless you have told Santander that you qualify for gross interest.

Plus, the 123 costs you £24 a year, a sum that you may or may not be able to recover from the cashback on DDs (I recover a lot more than £24 a year myself).

BOS and Tesco have 3% AER (2.96% gross) accounts that don't have a mandatory monthly charge. They have lower max amounts they pay interest on but they do take £21K between them.

Worth reminding ourselves that the rates on all these accounts are variable, so banks can give notice at any time of a change in rates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure