Printing passport photos

in Techie Stuff
10 replies 4.3K views
andygbandygb Forumite
14.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
I have done our passport photos for ages now, and one of the OH's mates used to print them.
However, I want to print them at home on our new printer - Epson XP 422 - and cannot find an option.
I have cropped the images to the correct size - 35mm x 45mm, but for the life of me I cannot work out how to print 4 or 6 images on one sheet of photo paper.
Can anyone please help?

Replies

• cookie365cookie365 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    When I did mine (not on that particular printer) I created a document in Word with the appropriate paper size and pasted multiple copies of the image.
  • GRMGRM Forumite
    645 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've used https://www.epassportphoto.com/ in the past, you upload an image and then download a jpg with 4 photos ready to print out. They understandably try to steer you towards the paid for service but there is a free option too.
  • alanwsgalanwsg Forumite
    703 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    The results from that printer may not be acceptable to the passport office any more.

Take a look at their guidelines, among other things the photos have to "professionally printed in colour on plain white photographic paper"
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    We've done brilliantly with Asda (& Boots) who can get your least bad mugshot from your iphone or memory stick & then print you a neat sheet of 6 photos with change from a pound.
    Somehow, the passport photo is Less Bad when taken by family/friend against an acceptably plain wall as opposed to in that terrifying box of expensive & automated terror...
  • edited 31 May 2015 at 1:46PM
    Norman_CastleNorman_Castle Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 31 May 2015 at 1:46PM
    http://www.idphoto4you.com/ then 36p in Tesco in store printer. Very easy.

This is mine.
    l7_zpseqbq3vz8.jpeg

I've just right clicked on a picture and Windows xp printing wizard(?) gave me options for different sizes. I don't the Epson printing software installed though. Just the driver.
    Cosseted farts are best ignored.
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    Forumite
    alanwsg wrote: »
    The results from that printer may not be acceptable to the passport office any more.

Take a look at their guidelines, among other things the photos have to "professionally printed in colour on plain white photographic paper"

Very interesting, I wonder which calibration chart they use to tell them apart. I do use a "professional" camera and plain white photographic paper, and I have also taken portraits and family shots which people have preferred to the school photographer and other professionals.
  • cookie365 wrote: »
    When I did mine (not on that particular printer) I created a document in Word with the appropriate paper size and pasted multiple copies of the image.

That's how I did mine last year and the passport office happily accepted them.
  • GloomendoomGloomendoom Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I did my own but, if I remember correctly, the passport office guidelines say the the paper used must have no writing on the back. I couldn't find any good quality paper that didn't have writing on the back so I sent the images off to be professionally printed.

They came back with writing on the back. I used them anyway with no problems.
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    Forumite
    I did my own but, if I remember correctly, the passport office guidelines say the the paper used must have no writing on the back. I couldn't find any good quality paper that didn't have writing on the back so I sent the images off to be professionally printed.

They came back with writing on the back. I used them anyway with no problems.

Our local Poundshop sells packs of Polaroid gloss photo paper with no writing on the back. I have used it for portraits and it is good quality. You can choose from A4(12 sheets), 7 x 5(40 sheets) and 6 x 4.
    I downloaded a programme yesterday, and knocked out 8 photos on a sheet of 7 x 5 and they look fine.
  • cookie365cookie365 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    You used to have to get someone to write a declaration on the back of one of the photos. Maybe the guidance is referring to that, not manufacturers watermarks.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals