Skyscanner V's Travel Agents

Options
Am i right now, in thinking that typical high street travel agents like Thomas Cook and all the rest, can not beat going independent and using Skyscanner and booking flights myself, finding my own hotel, etc etc? Is that right?

If not, how do i beat Skyscanner at a travel agent? It used to be going to the agent, asking for any cancellations and taking them, and getting to the airport fast with your bags packed, is that not the case anymore?
Owed out = lots. :cool:

Comments

• budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    Not always. Sometimes a package may work out cheaper. Charter only flights wont show up on Skyscanner.
    Icelolly.com is a good indicator of what may be possible
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Options
    Not always. Sometimes a package may work out cheaper. Charter only flights wont show up on Skyscanner.
    Icelolly.com is a good indicator of what may be possible

Thanks very much.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Options
    I don't use Skyscanner any more other than to check if I may have missed an option.
    If you're talking short haul stuff, just trawl the various airline's websites, do it anonymously if you can. When I find a hotel I like, I usually call them direct and ask for their best deal.
    Packages can work out better value, I once took a package to Greece and only stayed in the room for the first night and the last night.

The straight answer is, there is no answer, just do your research and be ready to buy when you find the deal you want, wherever it comes from.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • crazycamper
    crazycamper Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Most travel agents now can also put together holidays for you aswell as quote for package holidays. The advantage of using an agent is that they know exactly where to look for the best prices for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure