URGENT HELP PLEASE! We just signed a three year trial membership..

Hello All,

This is my first post so please bear with me if I don't know the etiquette.

We have just come back from three days at pine lake resorts and we signed a three year membership with Diamond Resorts International.. This is the first time we had a sales like this and it sounds too good to be true so I'm trying to find out if anyone else has done this and if it is a good deal?

We were sold:

Three years for £3650 we can take 4 weeks a year in a diamond resort (subject to availability) we have children so we would have to book during half term.

My questions are:

How difficult is it to book during high season?

Is it worth taking such a big commitment?

Are you member? What has your experience been like? Good bad? Should we cancel?

Please help me! My husband thinks its a good deal but I'm not entirely convinced!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Best

Cachu

Comments

• hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Never heard of them and got no experience, but I imagine that half term will be incredibly difficult weeks and perhaps to hand over £3650, I would want a cast iron guarantee, otherwise you might end up with availability in Nov and Jan.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you signed in premises unless they have a goodwill cooling period you can not cancel it.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Cachu
    Cachu Posts: 2 Newbie
    There is a 14 day cooling off period.. We were kind of ambushed in the sales pitch so I want to be absolutely sure we did the right thing..
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    Cancel it. If you're having doubts already, that's a sure sign.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,172 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Arthog
    Arthog Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We have stayed at a Diamond resort in the UK 3 years running without being members, and were invited to a bargain short break (we chose to go to the Lakes District) to include the sales session about becoming a member. There was no pressure at all. We are absolutely certain that it is an excellent organisation, and very good value for the investment. We have not joined as it doesn't fit in with our lifestyle.
    The UK resort we go to is always very busy and very popular. We hope to go there again this Summer.
    I hope I have set your mind at rest OP.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    if in doubt cancel while you can
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    photome wrote: »
    if in doubt cancel while you can

I agree.
    Cancel now and get a full refund then spend a bit of time researching the company (and other similar companies).
    If after this research you decide to go ahead, contact them again and see if they will beat the deal that you were originally offered.
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Search for them on Google adding the word "scam" or "problem". It doesn't look too promising.
    Je suis sabot...
  • Savingdad
    Savingdad Posts: 147 Forumite
    On the whole they can be OK if its the sort of thing you will use.
    I have weeks with them and have done for years but I have old style weeks, fixed times fixed place and that suits us well.
    I don't like the points system, part ownership and all the new methods they are employing these days.
    They are a huge and well established company but the product they offer is not for everyone.
    There are cheaper holidays out there, there are more flexible holidays out there but I like knowing I have my 2 weeks in my nice, well equipped, secure appt in tenirife every year in the summer holidays so for the next 15 years I'm pretty sure I will be OK.
    If your having doubts, if you need more time to decide if its for you, if you need more time to understand the system or to get more feedback then cancel for now and ask to be invited back next year for another try.
    You may well get another cheap holiday out of it and time to make your decision more informed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure