bathroom paint issue

Options
I've been in new place for 3 or 4 weeks and there's been an issue developing in bathroom with regards to wall paint.

There's one extractor in bathroom and no window. I shower a couple times a day and they're not always short showers. I leave the extractor on for half an hour after and the door always ajar.

I had bathroom painted a few weeks ago and later realised they didn't use bathroom paint (not sure how much difference it would have made)

The floor is vinyl and shower area tiled. There is no sign of mould anywhere.

But parts of the wall are showing a darker 'drippy effect'. There is no discolouration or patchiness anywhere to indicate the paint is actually falling off.

But the drippy staining is a slightly darker colour to the point and looks an eyesore.

I main tile the wall at some point.

Should I just clean wall with sugar soap and a sponge? Will thus take the paint off too? I ask because I tested this with a tiny section and though it looks to have helped I'm not sure if it's taken a tiny smidgen of paint off too.

Anything else I can do please?

Thanks

Comments

• Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Anything else I can do please?

Take one shower a day, about four minutes. This should do the trick.
  • catoutthebag
    catoutthebag Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Options
    So I can be a smelly stingy bug! like you :p

I've been advised by a friend that bath paint would have made a difference and that the painters sound like stupid cowboys so I've asked if they can rectify their mistake. Awaiting response.
  • pendragon_arther
    pendragon_arther Posts: 1,295 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bathroom paint is the way to go. I know I've been there got the T shirt.
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
  • Fraise
    Fraise Posts: 521 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt the decorators will re paint it if they're Cowboys.

Can't you just buy a tin of bathroom paint and paint over it yourself? I'm assuming your bathroom isn't huge, so you could paint it in a couple of hours.
  • km1423
    km1423 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    The "drippy" stains you describe could be moisture that has collected on the bathroom walls.

Just had a bathroom with a low ceiling redecorated with tiled walls and was given two vital tips:-

a) a decent good quality bathroom extractor fan, with over run timer and humidity sensor
    b) Use exterior paint on the bathroom ceilings and walls e.g. sandtex or dulux weather shield, better than bathroom paint. Good for kitchens too.

Perhaps shorter showers to see if this helps.

If you want loyalty - get a dog:rotfl::rotfl:

All my posts are my opinion, and the actions I would take.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure